273 build, tips?

-

JohnnyDart273

Reaction score
Im building up the 273 in my 67 dart and would just like to know if Im heading in the right direction. Before anyone mentions, yes I know a 318 is cheaper and probably better, but my father and I built this car 5 years ago when I was 15 and we just decided it needed a little somthing more. Plus my older brother has a 318 in his 72 dart and I want mine to be as different as possible from his lol. So Ive started gathering parts for the build up and would just like some tips on if I ve made good choices or just some general advice. I'm planning on boring it over .30, I have bought a 750cfm holly for it (I couldnt pass it up It was $20 on ebay shipping and all so if it doesnt work I havent really lost anything), my father and I figured we'd keep the stock heads but mill them just so we wouldnt have to notch the cylinders for larger valves, and put in a larger cam(I literally know nothing about cams, so some tips or suggestions here would be much appreciated), I plan on adding a set of good headers(not sure what brand yet) into purple hornies mufflers and out the back with a new exaust(one in it is original, still sounds good though) and the older man we bought it off of had a 9inch ford rear end in it when we bought it so I was thinking maybe 3.73 gears unless someone suggested otherwise. Suggestions?

Welcome to FABO JD273. Nothing wrong with a 273. They're fun little motors to build and can give you spirited performance and economy too. I rebuilt the hp273 in my 66 Dart last winter. I decided to go for a stock type rebuild and I'm pretty happy with the results. If I would do it over I might put in a little bigger cam for more rump-rump but that's about it. Keep us informed on your progress and we are always here to answer your questions. We also like pictures..............lots of pictures! LOL
toolmanmike

Here's a link to my build:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=94343

Yea we rebuilt it and left it stock when we first redid the motor, well if I was to just add a cam to the engine as is, would there be a specific cam you would suggest?

I would contact Hughes Engines. They are the Mopar cam experts. I was thinking about a Schneider cam #14202 from the Flatlander Racing website. It's bigger than the Isky E-4 that I put in and should perform better and sound good too.
If you want to blow the budget Hughes has a few mild grind rollers. toolman

-
Back