273 build

-

JohnnyDart273

Reaction score
Ive made a few topics about building my 273 and looked at other engines and Ive finally settled on what I want to do. Ive decided to turbo my little 273 but thats not the question I have, can a 273 be bored large enough to accept stock 318 pistons without causing the engine to run hot? My brother who owns a 71 dart swinger suggested this and while Im skeptical that it could safely work I figured you guys would know for sure. As for the turbo I plan on adding it even if I cant bore the engine to accomodate 318 pistons Ill just keep the 273 pistons, upgrade the cam, add two turbos, swap in a 4 barrel intake, and add a holley 650cfm. Now I'd like to see what you guys think about this, any advice or tips would be helpful and greatly appreciated. Other than telling me its cheaper to build a 318, 340, etc lol.

port the exhaust side.lol

as for cyl wall thickness, i doubt being on the thin side and then adding boost is a good idea.

grab a 318 block and save urself time and money.jmo

The little 273 is all by itself. You can't bore it to 318 bore size. I have heard that the 273's had some core shift problems and can get too thin. If you're going to turbo one I would have it sonic checked to be sure. I bored mine .030 with out checking and have no issues but I'm not pressurizing it either. 2 turbos might be overkill. Your choice. tmm

You make more power with straight round bores that seal than bores that don't seal because they are too thin and move under power.

Thanks tool man and grim, its good to see someone can actually answer my question rather than be jerks lol.

-
Back