273 cam thrust plate questions? Help!!!

-

rickdick78

Reaction score
Putting a new cam in my 67 273. It was rebuilt awhile ago.

First question...What is the torque specs for the thrust plate bolts.

Second question... My thrust plate has 4 bolts in it, shoulndnt i have 3?..
and if so should i eliminate one and add the little drip tray.(its not there)

Cant go any further till i get some info, so thanks everyone in advanced!!!!

One bolt should have a hole drilled through the center. If you go into a worn out engine you'll likely find a spoon full of metal behind that bolt.
You could add the drip leg, tensioner, whatever, but the early builds only had a drilled bolt.

Putting a new cam in my 67 273. It was rebuilt awhile ago.

First question...What is the torque specs for the thrust plate bolts.

Second question... My thrust plate has 4 bolts in it, shoulndnt i have 3?..
and if so should i eliminate one and add the little drip tray.(its not there)

Cant go any further till i get some info, so thanks everyone in advanced!!!!

Older blocks had 4 bolt holes. Newer blocks only have 3 holes (I'm sure that saved Chrysler Millions of dollars eliminating a bolt). If you ask me 4 bolts is stronger, not that there is much loading against it. I just like the idea of 4 bolts clamping it evenly all around. Not sure why you'd think you need to eliminate 1 of them??

Well i know that magnum motors only have three bolts and the drip tray. My engine has four solid bolts. I was wondering if leaving one out would help to oil the engine more. That is basically my question.
But if the early motors have four bolts then i guess four it is!

Does that mean i might not be getting proper oiling. where can i get those hollow bolts

My 66 273 had 4 solid bolts. I drilled a 1/64" hole in the left oil galley plug for lubrication. I had to drill a big hole in the plate to expose the plug. The tensioner is designed for 3.9 v-6's so it only had 3 bolt holes. I drilled the last hole to make it 4.
toolman

Attachments

• 042500951507[00].jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 223
I've only seen the bolt with the hole in 340's from the factory, for extra oiling to the stock roller timing chain. Maybe some early High performance 360's also. Definately a good modification. Tighten bolts to 210 inch pounds.

I've only seen the bolt with the hole in 340's from the factory, for extra oiling to the stock roller timing chain. Maybe some early High performance 360's also. Definately a good modification. Tighten bolts to 210 inch pounds.

I've only saw it on early engines too. My 79 360 never had the drilled bolt. If they don't have the drilled bolt I drill one. A little extra oil on the t.chain always helps.

-
Back