273 Charger Tear Down-Head Gaskets/Valve Seals

-

Rustyfish

Reaction score
As the title says, I'm tearing down for some long awaited work. Got down to the heads yesterday. Exhaust manifolds next, then the heads. Can't wait to get a look at the pistons. But anyway, anyone know what is in the third picture? I pulled it out of the coked up heat crossover in the passenger side head.
61014759921__54822E1F-D9D4-4F30-8DA3-5D815C17AD9D.JPG
IMG_4370.jpg
IMG_4376.jpg

Just planning to replace the head gaskets and valve seals right now, but depends what the rest of the head looks like when pulled. If they look really worn, I might get them rebuilt.

I recently swapped my 273 Commando (not original to the car) for a 5.9 Magnum.

My thought was to save money and have more horsepower. I got more horsepower but ended up spending twice what I could have rebuilt the 273 for :BangHead::BangHead:.

And...I kinda miss the 273!!

Always planned to keep this one all original especially since it's the hipo 273 it came with.

Struggling with the manifold flange bolts right now however.

Any ideas on how to get a wrench on top of the passenger side rear flange bolt head? It has a keeper/retainer on it I suppose just for this, but it's not doing what it's supposed to and I'm just spinning the bolt.

Dang, I can't remember. It seems like I was able to get an open end wrench on it. I know there's not a lot of room anywhere in the engine compartment!!

I used a 9/16 crows foot? Bought it from TMM.
Always planned to keep this one all original especially since it's the hipo 273 it came with.

Struggling with the manifold flange bolts right now however.

Any ideas on how to get a wrench on top of the passenger side rear flange bolt head? It has a keeper/retainer on it I suppose just for this, but it's not doing what it's supposed to and I'm just spinning the bolt.

It’s a 5/8” head, but like I said it has a keeper surrounding the head. You can see it sort of near the top
8F5230F5-7EA6-4620-B8DA-347A6D71FD1D.jpeg

I’d already done one. It was already pretty good numbers except #2 was a little lower than all the rest but still within tolerance. But she smoked like crazy after warming up. Burning oil and coolant.

Sometimes you can find NOS 273 head gaskets felpro. But usually just use 318 head gaskets most readily available

Sometimes you can find NOS 273 head gaskets felpro. But usually just use 318 head gaskets most readily available
I think Felpro only has one size gasket for the 273, 318 and 340. Bought a complete gasket set from Felpro for a 273 and the gaskets were huge. Good luck finding 273 gaskets.

Check Summit for headgaskets. You will be able to compare bore sizes and compressed thickness to choose a pair. The originals were embossed steel shim and no longer available.

I’m thinking there was a reason the heads were off before which worries me. So I’ll probably replace the gaskets button it up and see what happens. I just picked up a couple weeks ago another supposedly good running 273 with a 4 barrel intake for a replacement if that doesn’t work.

273 gaskets are long gone. Most if not all are 4.180 sized now for 273-360 application. I got 11 head gaskets on the wall and thy are all the same large 340 + bore size. Only chance is some obscure closeout site that has some dusty pre 68 stuff. Get a mirror smooth ceramic floor tile and glue a piece of >400 sandpaper on it and rub it in a figure 8 on the bottom of the heads and block deck and see if there are any low spots that dont get hit. Probably safe to get a skim cut on both heads just to get some bright metal back. Not enough to deck them, just clean them up.

As above, I would have a skim mill on each head, or at least have them checked for flatness. who knows how warped they may be. BTW, if you use the Felpro 1008's rather than the standard Felpro 8553PT kit gaskets, you will gain almost 0.3 point in compression ratio. You will definitely feel that in the butt dyno.

The heads are closed chamber types, right?

In the 1990s mccord and victor and maybe others had head gaskets smaller than 4.180 . I have not looked lately

-
Back