273 Comando - What's it worth?

-

PostalBGraham

Reaction score
We pulled the High Performance 273 out of the 'Cuda this past weekend. I have a rebuilt 340/727 ready to go in when the car gets out of the paint shop. A friend expressed interest in the 273/904 combination. I wasn't really sure what to ask for it. The engine is probably not the original for my car. The fender tag calls for a standard 273, not high performance. I guess someone might have added the 4-barrel intake and valve covers to the original block, but I'm not sure. Anyway, the tranny is good. The engine burns oil at a pretty good clip. We replaced the valve seals last spring, but that made little if any difference. I was going to rebuild it this winter. The guy who wants is a Ford mechanic who just bought a '71 Dart, and would rebuild it himself. What do you think the combo is worth?

273-01 (Small).jpg

273-02 (Small).jpg

I would go $500. The exhaust manifolds alone are worth some serious change if you have an early A. Am seriously considering a Dart in Ohio for $800 just to get this engine/trans combo for my '66 Valiant.

kill the "ifs". If you pull a head and see dome top pistons the engine is worth 500 without the cosmetic stuff.
The cosmetic commando stuff is worth about the same in pieces through ebay.

It doesn't look like a 4 barrel from the photo, but I guess it is if you say so. They don't look like the early a-body motor mounts too, which are harder to find. The throttle linkage is later style too, not early a-body. I'd say the intake alone is worth $100-125, the carb if it's the original style is $100 or more just as a core. The valve covers go for $100 or so, the air cleaner if it's not rusty goes for $150 and then things like the oil pan, alternator, front cover etc are all worth money. So just on that basis, there's some value there.

those are the flat samdwich type motor mounts. All of it looks 67 to me.
the distributer is wrong. Commando whould be a black cast iron prestolite dual point that matches the wrinkle finish on the valve covers. Pull a head still the only way to be sure.

I have a 64 Dart with the factory 273, it was a 2V engine has all the comando parts even the early mounts and I have a set of the early exhaust. All is for sale if anyone wants it. Bock is .040 over not worn bad at all, a re-ring should be fine, has a forged crank etc.

I did sell the iron intake and the valve covers already, but I have a nice Holley street domintaor for the early 273 bolt pattern for sale too. it fits holley & carter aka AFB bolt patterns.

:hockey:That is a 67 eng :salute::blob:Look at front of the block [-X
All an all about 850.00 still running ???:violent2:

The block is a '64-'66
The heads are '64-'65
The intake is a '65

Can you scrape the paint way at the front of the block right below the left head? There should be some numbers there.

Your car is a 273 2bbl car according to the VIN

Chuck

I guess whenever I see a Commando looking motor I think of my early Barracuda...but now I can plainly see that the engine bay is a second generation a-body engine bay..my mistake.

I have a 318 in my car, dressed up to look like a Commando. None but the most discerning would notice the difference. I painstakingly rounded up all the right parts, throttle linkages, etc....took a few years.

I would say it is not the original engine. If you check the stamping on the block below the left head it will tell you for sure.

Chuck

the HP Commando engines were built through 67 and the left manifold is correct for 67 or later 318. The 90 degree crock at dump end of that manifold
dissapeared after 66.

It basicaly is a numbers matching engine being the block, heads and intake are all numbers that would come on a '65 motor. But, the block and heads are also the same numbers for a 2 bbl motor. It is only the intake that is a Commando only part so until you find out if the motor has domed pistons it may only be a 2 bbl '65 273 with a Commando intake.

Chuck

Thank you guys, for all the information. I was going to rebuild it this winter for the learning experience, but now I have a prospective buyer. Since it isn't the original engine block for my car, I'll probably let it go for the right price.

I could be wrong but 2bbl motors came with hyd. camshafts ... but who's to say someone didn't install a solid cam etc!!Pulling the head sounds like the way to go.

The 273 2 barrel in my 65 Barracuda has solids and adjustable rockers. I had a 66 Belvedere wagon with a 273-2 that also had the adjustable rockers but can't remember about the lifters

If it is a true commando I'll pay the $500 and bring it home ????I'm Lookin for a 67 date code block any way

-
Back