273 commando. How 2 tell?

-

440magnum

Reaction score
Hi. I purchased what the seller said was a 1966 273 commando engine. My question is how do you tell if it is? Any stamps, numbers, on the block or heads. Or do I have to pull the heads and check valve dia. pistons, etc.

If standard bore, pistons commando 2 valve relief semi dome, std 4 valve unidirectional pistons. If bored all bets off as it could have higher compression flat top piston also.

Attachments

• 200_0_uploads_Pistons_L2221.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 253
  • 200_0_uploads_Pistons_L2222.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 289
Check the valve lift, should be about .420 and is it a 4 bbl?? The distributer will be a dual point. If you can pull a plug and see if you can tell if the piston is domed.

Im sure someone will chime in, but the only way I have heard is the pistons are dometops

Yes

If standard bore, pistons commando 2 valve relief semi dome, std 4 valve unidirectional pistons. If bored all bets off as it could have higher compression flat top piston also.

Yes

Check the valve lift, should be about .420 and is it a 4 bbl?? The distributer will be a dual point. If you can pull a plug and see if you can tell if the piston is domed.

And yes!

Yyyyeeessss!!!!....lol

Pistons, valve covers, 4 bbl cast intake and carb, chrome unsilenced air cleaner, dual-point dizzy, and if the car is available, an "E" in the VIN.....Nuff?

All as stated above plus finned valve covers (however these could have easily been added - or removed).

Yyyyeeessss!!!!....lol

Pistons, valve covers, 4 bbl cast intake and carb, chrome unsilenced air cleaner, dual-point dizzy, and if the car is available, an "E" in the VIN.....Nuff?

An E? In 66 a "D" designates 273 and nothing in the vin tells that it is a HP-4 barrell engine

Dang I need to get my books out. I think I'll go to bed instead. LOL

Correct Me if in error here Folks...

I thought the Hp Engines had mechanical valve trains?

Might be a determining factor, --- as far as I can remember, there were no
component assembly codes on the Block or Heads?

The O/P has no access to the original Body.

With respects.

prior to 68 ALL 273 engines were solid lifter w/adjustable rockers. Heads and all were same. Really surefire way to tell is pistons, since intake, dist, v/c's can all be changed.

Thanks for the input everyone. Engine came with Commando valve covers, correct 4bb carb, air cleaner,and aluminum intake.All of these items could have been put on any 273. Looks like it will come down to the pistons.

it has an aftermarket alum intake? depending on what you're doing with it proper intakes can be a bit difficult to find but not impossible. The Covers and air cleaner and proper # carb are nice. Dual point dizzy's were generally tossed away years ago.
Hard to find a 45+ YO engine without being rebuilt at least once. So even with that said if it is an untouched commando engine - pistons, if once done the pistons may not tell you. You will need to measure piston height in bore etc and calculate compression ratio.
The nice thing is oversize commando pistons can now be obtained through egge. So you can make a 273 a "commando" if it has the wrong pistons. There are no other discerning marks to tell one from the other, maybe cast/steel crankshaft. Mostly bolt on goodies and pistons.

-
Back