273 Commando ignition wire question

-
I can make ones for 8.5mm wires too. That just takes making a bigger cylinder and cutting it out from the shape.

Would you mind sending me your STL files so that I can make a set for myself?

I'm having the opposite problem with the white spark plug wire grommets for my '65 Barracuda FS 273. I have two new sets here, one from Mega Parts, and the second set from Classic Industries, they appear to be identical, and from the same manufacturer. I am installing new, original style 7 mm plug wires, and the grommets are too lose. They won't stay in the recesses of the valve cover holders, and they slide on the wire once snapped shut. The few originals I have left fit tight. Anyone else run into this issue?

I'm having the opposite problem with the white spark plug wire grommets for my '65 Barracuda FS 273. I have two new sets here, one from Mega Parts, and the second set from Classic Industries, they appear to be identical, and from the same manufacturer. I am installing new, original style 7 mm plug wires, and the grommets are too lose. They won't stay in the recesses of the valve cover holders, and they slide on the wire once snapped shut. The few originals I have left fit tight. Anyone else run into this issue?
Dang, those repop parts aren't often the same.

I figured out a way to fix the problem. I slid the distributor boot down the wire past the point where the plastic insulator fits. Then I cut a piece of black shrink wrap about a 1/4" long and slid it over the wire connector, and down to where the insulator fits into the fins on the valve cover. Then I applied heat to the shrink wrap in the proper location and once cooled, slid the distributor boot over it and back in position on the cap. I was able then to position the plastic insulator over the shrink wrap and snap it into place. The thickness of the shrink wrap did the trick, and the insulator stays in place as it should.

I figured out a way to fix the problem. I slid the distributor boot down the wire past the point where the plastic insulator fits. Then I cut a piece of black shrink wrap about a 1/4" long and slid it over the wire connector, and down to where the insulator fits into the fins on the valve cover. Then I applied heat to the shrink wrap in the proper location and once cooled, slid the distributor boot over it and back in position on the cap. I was able then to position the plastic insulator over the shrink wrap and snap it into place. The thickness of the shrink wrap did the trick, and the insulator stays in place as it should.
Now that's using your head. Well done!

I found that either type fits the same valve covers. I made a set of the W style with 8mm openings for my wires and they fit in the same as the individual single wire holders. Just a different look.

I can make a set of 4 for you, if you PM me your address. I will mail them out to you,
NO CHARGE! I just like to print stuff up and help people out.

IMG_5989.JPG

I can make a set of 4 for you, if you PM me your address. I will mail them out to you,
NO CHARGE! I just like to print stuff up and help people out.

View attachment 1716168393

Claydart, That's very kind of you, thanks for the offer. I do want to keep it original though, and the shrink wrap on the wires fixed the problem. Bob

-
Back