273 Commando Slugs

-
Mike,

Looks good. Damn good. If you haven't already done it, run a tap through the head bolt holes before you assemble the motor. Actually, wouldn't hurt to run all the holes. Then make sure you blow them out real good.

Mike,

Looks good. Damn good. If you haven't already done it, run a tap through the head bolt holes before you assemble the motor. Actually, wouldn't hurt to run all the holes. Then make sure you blow them out real good.

Oh ya! Everything will get a thorough cleaning and all threads internal and external chased. Steve is very particular but you can never be too careful when it comes to clean.

Mike, it looks like you're a few weeks ahead of me. I call the machininst tomorrow to see if he's bored the block yet to find out what size pistons to get from Egge. Still waiting for the Cam to show up.

Feel like a little kid waiting for christmas.

Pins are lighter too.

Great to see several 273's being built. I wish I would have got the HP pistons strait from Egge, much better price than from Hughes.

I went with comp cams XS268S solid cam, balanced assembly as well, squared the block, stock heads, mild porting 1.84 intake and 1.60 exhaust valves and added a cam tensioner.

Heads have been milled slightly and even with MP .028 gaskets my machinist says I am right at 10.5 compression. Heads are 62cc

I'm interested to see how this thing runs. What car and what trans, rear gears are you running. Should be a screamer.

I wish I had gotten some dome pistons, but oh well, with 9 to 1 she runs good on 87 piss.

67 Barracuda Coupe Commando 4sp. 3.91 rear added a windage tray and changed to 10.5" clutch.

Oh ya also went with small edelbrock (performer) manifold and Holley 770 Avenger. I might be overboard on the carb, we will see.

When it gets closer I will post some pics and start a new thread.

No prob with you taking over my question, Mike. I'm learning a lot mysel! Like is that what a crank looks like?! LOL. Thanks to everyone who has answered and/or offered opinions on the subject. It's like being in Vo-Tech all over again.

Got the reciprocating parts back from Steve @ Dewar Machine. Everything is
all balanced up and ready. The first 2 rod photos are before and after balancing.
I haven't un-packed the crank yet . I think I'll just leave it wrapped up and carry it to the basement where it will stay nice and dry. Mike

012700951009[01].jpg

100_4952.jpg

100_4954.jpg

100_4957.jpg

100_4956.jpg

what heads are you guys using for your engine? what is diferent between h.p and std. 273 besides heads, cam, and pistons? mine 273 is'nt h.p. but would like to build it that way. has anyone try'd puting a 340 cam in a 273?

what heads are you guys using for your engine? what is diferent between h.p and std. 273 besides heads, cam, and pistons? mine 273 is'nt h.p. but would like to build it that way. has anyone try'd puting a 340 cam in a 273?

Heads are the same...cam,pistons,distrib,intake,valve covers ,carb and air cleaner are different between 2 and 4 bbl.

Yes, I put a '68-340 4-speed cam in a '67 273 back a few years. Ran great with a small (500cfm) Carter AFB and aluminum intake. Have to change completely to hydraulic rocker gear if you're going to do it.

On a couple of my 273's I used the 340 2.02 X heads, but you have to notch the block for the intakes. Well, I think you have to notch the block. I never tried the 2.02 heads without notching the block, I'll put it that way.

In the little 273 that's in my '66 Valiant right now, it's a stock two barrel motor that I built for my dad in 1985 for his '65 Valiant. I used a stock 340 hydraulic cam with the non-adjustable 340 rockers and pushrods because my dad didn't need to be adjusting rockers at his age. Just make sure whoever does the heads sets the valve stem height when they are doing the heads.

Russ.

awsome thanx guys. what is the casting number on those heads? are they open or closed chambers?

The 340 heads I've used are all pre 1972 or '73 I'd say. It's been awhile since I put one of those little motors together for hot rodding. The 273's will scream if built with good heads, big cam, pistons and good carburetion. My first one in my little '63 Valiant ran 12.60 at Riverside with a Holley three barrel and wheel well headers and a 4 speed, gears, old cheater slicks and was a daily driver. Couldn't tell you what the casting numbers were though, it was a long time ago.

Russ.

-
Back