273 Commando Top End Rebuild on my 65 Dart GT

-
That a Commando piston alright....

Yup!

Thanks!

When you're cleaning up, scrape off the carbon and see if there is an L2222 stamped in the dome. That is an old TRW number.

I'll take a look - i didnt notice yet. its a bit dark where i'm working and ive just been scraping grease!

Speaking of which - does anyone have any images they can attach as to which parts should be painted what? I noticed my alternator bracket had some orange on it, which i almost shot black.. so it went back to orange.

The alternator bracket, crank and water pump pulleys, and motor mounts are all black.

Thank you - i was going to make my alt bracket black but it had a lot of orange on it.... i want to make sure it goes back stock.. and it looked so good orange!

IMG_9305.JPG

I posted this here already, but I finally got my engine all put back together this weekend. No big issues while doing so - seems i have some sort of charging issue (probably just bad alternator, i'll test today after work), the carburetor had a leak so i had to plug that, and this weekend i'll throw a timing light on it and tune the carburetor. Other than that, it starts immediately, runs flawlessly, and looks great! :) some pictures:

IMG_1556.jpg

IMG_1568.jpg

IMG_1574.jpg

IMG_1591.jpg

IMG_1598.jpg

Last edited:
I posted this here already, but I finally got my engine all put back together this weekend. No big issues while doing so - seems i have some sort of charging issue (probably just bad alternator, i'll test today after work), the carburator had a leak so i had to plug that, and this weekend i'll throw a timing light on it and tune the carburator. Other than that, it starts immediately, runs flawlessly, and looks great! :) some pictures:

View attachment 1714953745

View attachment 1714953746

View attachment 1714953747

View attachment 1714953748

View attachment 1714953751

Looking good!... But you need the Mopar throttle adapter on your Holley carb to get full throttle and proper lickdown geometry.

Looking good!... But you need the Mopar throttle adapter on your Holley carb to get full throttle and proper lickdown geometry.
i had no idea such a thing existed. there was a lot of shade tree engineering happening over that thing..
EDIT: do you have a link to the part? i was googling and i dont see it.

Last edited:
-
Back