273 commando V8 badge

-

1974DartSwinger

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering what was up with the "Commando V8" badges I've seen for sale. Which cars did those come on? I'm rocking the 273 commando in my '66 barracuda, but Ive never seen any other cudas with a badge like that. I just have the standard "F-S" badge and "barracuda" on the front fenders.

Hmmm

The Formula S did not have the "Commando V8" metal emblem, but the non-Formula S cars with the 273 four barrel did, the Valiants also had this emblem it is mounted just behind the front tires. If the cars had 273 two barrel engines then the badge said "V eight".

And that one on Ebay if you look has a vacuum gauge in place of where the tach would be if it was a true S car. I am willing to bet it probably dont have the sway bar either.

And that one on Ebay if you look has a vacuum gauge in place of where the tach would be if it was a true S car. I am willing to bet it probably dont have the sway bar either.
I agree, it's probably no more than a commando car. It's kinda rare not to have an 8 3/4 with a commando and a 4 speed. I've only seen one documented car that came that way in '66. It's a little hard to tell but the rear springs don't look like 6 leafers either but it could be just the angle. I noticed that it didn't have a good front suspension shot to verify a sway bar. Even if it originally had all the correct FS parts, there is no way to verify it's real unless you have the fender tag, build sheet or a copy of the IBM card from Chrysler Historical.

Oops, misread the post and misunderstood the question, my bad

If it has the large square cutout on the rear valance on the drivers side, for the resonator, it came with the commando motor.

Oops, misread the post and misunderstood the question, my bad

If it has the large square cutout on the rear valance on the drivers side, for the resonator, it came with the commando motor.
Not in '66......there are no valances on a Barracuda that year. (the only year that's true)

-
Back