273, could it be a commando and CAM question?

-
140/150 psi doesn't necessarily mean Commando...a small cam will build good pressure even with 2 barrel pistons, same as a big cam will bleed off cylinder pressure with high-squeeze pistons. Overlap has a great effect on cylinder pressure (psi). Big cams have more overlap than small cams.

Without tearing it down you really will not know what you have.

If it runs good and strong, as the old saying goes, if its not broke don't fix it.

140/150 psi doesn't necessarily mean Commando...a small cam will build good pressure even with 2 barrel pistons, same as a big cam will bleed off cylinder pressure with high-squeeze pistons. Overlap has a great effect on cylinder pressure (psi). Big cams have more overlap than small cams.

Would a 340 cam with 268/276 duration and 429/444 lift be consider small in a 273 and help build that preassure? Because that is what I have now. Please educate me, Im really new to this with cams.

Without tearing it down you really will not know what you have.

If it runs good and strong, as the old saying goes, if its not broke don't fix it.

I just hope to come as close as possible without pulling everything at this point. At the same time I'm really interested to see if there is gain possibilities to be had. I have what is considered a sweet intake for a 273, I have the headers, carb, gears and converter. So Im now trying to find out if the 340 cam I have is the best choice I guess. Thanks!

That should be a pretty good street cam. Not too wild but more than a stock Commando 273 came with. Idle should still be reasonably smooth. If it's already in the car, I'd use it and see how you like it.

I agree with that, "Use the cam in there now" statement.

IF the cam is a OE spec'd cam, it is small. And it so appears that is the cam as listed.
IF the cam in there now is the MP Performance replacement cam, then it may be a bit large for the set up, not so much for the engine.

The performance replacement cam is a good bit larger than the OE 340 cam.

IMO, like said above, if it runs fine, leave it alone and enjoy it.

Thanks guys! I think your probably right. Just bothering me that my friend have both the Hughes Whiplash AND the comp cams XE275HL lying around not being used :)

Today I got an x pipe for free from a friend, sweet!

I don't know your mechanical proficiency so please don't be offended, but here goes;

Cam brand and/or fancy model name/number in a buddie's car don't mean squat, and without documentation to back it up, neither does the previous owner's recollections of what he did, back when.

If you really want to know what size cam is in YOUR motor, it's time to get a degree wheel mounted up and check the REAL cam specs. Use a piston stop (an old hollowed out spark plug with a bolt/nut ran through it works fine, just be sure you smooth the end touching the piston to prevent damage) and rig up a firmly mounted pointer to zero it in. Once you come up to speed learning how to use the degree wheel, you'll be able to determine the duration, overlap, lobe lift, centerlines, and if the cam is installed advanced, retarded, or straight up. It's the only way you're going to know for sure. Even taking the cam out and looking at the ID markings (if there are any) won't tell you as much.

Ditto on the compression check. Get a tester that screws into the spark plug hole, block the throttle and heat riser butterfly (if it's got one) wide open, remove ALL the spark plugs, and spin the motor over. Let the motor hit on compression about four to five times to get an accurate read, just be sure to use the same exact number of compression hits on each cylinder (the engine will buck every time the cylinder you're checking comes up on compression). Be sure to use a freshly charged battery for consistency.

Getting a good read on the cam specs and accurately measuring the actual compression in the cylinders will go a long way to letting you know what's really going on in your engine.

Thanks twofosho and No offence taken. This is My first real car projekt so Im a beginner and value your in depth text. Being patient and careful got me this far and i like learning so this is good stuff :)

-
Back