273 dipstick missing

-

Seansmopar

Reaction score
I am missing the dipstick for my 273, the tube is there..Just missing the dipstick. Can I find one compatible with any small block engine up to a certain year, or does it have to be a 273..any info would be appreciated...thanks..

273s use the same dipstick as any other LA small block. There's plenty of dipsticks out there.

I am missing the dipstick for my 273, the tube is there..Just missing the dipstick. Can I find one compatible with any small block engine up to a certain year, or does it have to be a 273..any info would be appreciated...thanks..

My friend just yanked a complete 58k 273 motor and tranny out a Barracuda for his brother in-law. I could see if he wants to separate any parts from it. Look up the website Heartland Mopars (heartlandmopars.com) and post a wanted add, otherwise I can give you a phone number. The motor is in Maryville, Missouri now. If you need more info I can relay messages also. :)

With a 67 273 68 318 and 73 318 in the yard I found all these dip sticks and tubes to be different lengths. 273 the shortest of them.
You could aquire any longer stick, determine where full should be and have it cut to fit.

With a 67 273 68 318 and 73 318 in the yard I found all these dip sticks and tubes to be different lengths. 273 the shortest of them.
You could aquire any longer stick, determine where full should be and have it cut to fit.

But how much of the stick was coming out the bottom of the tube? You should be OK if you keep the stick and tube together.

This will make you laugh, when I was looking to buy the car I asked the owner how do you check the oil since the dipstick is half the normal length.. They didn't, instead would change the oil after so many days...I said o.k. I get it..when I drove it home first thing I did was drain the oil and it looked, oil looks ok.. Second thing I did was remove the oil pan..found the other half piece of the dipstick laying on the bottom of the oil pan..but it still doesn't add together to make the full length of the dipstick..must be another piece of the stick missing..everything with the engine checks ok..just need to find a dipstick..thought I would share this with everyone who may or may not seen this before..

Just get stick and tube. Matter of fact...I got one....let me measure...OK 11 inches long from O-ring mount on tube to bottom of dipstick, 10 inches to "add 1 qt" and 9 to "full" Hope that helps BUT I dont know if its a slant or a 273, Im leaning to the 273 as its in a box of V8 parts and the slant is much thinner tube. Whatever is over is immaterial, you just get custom one and cut to fit with those measurements or add 4.5 qts to your pan dip, and mark as full.

Thank you for the measurements, yes it's a 273, I will locate a universal stick and make it work...I actually have 5 quarts in it now, and was going to buy a universal but I was hoping to score a factory one..thanks

If you pull the original dip stick tube, I'll buy it. When I had my block bored, the machinist lost my tube and the universal one is always loose. I still have my dipstick.

My buddy broke off my tube when we were getting the block ready for the machine shop. I was thinking about going with this Proform 66142. Anyone have any experience with it?? Says it fits 273-360. $10.99 to my door from Jegs.

Thanks, the tube looks to have a weld at the base into the block, and was painted over prior to me getting the vehicle. I haven't removed the alt. bracket to see what weld the previous owner used..I'll check on that another time..thanks for the info..

It's the 273 in the thumbnail left of my reply, has the universal dipstick purchased for it, to short to read oil..

-
Back