273 Exhaust Manifolds on a 318?

-

salinasjoel

Learning Daily
Reaction score
Ive got a 65 Dart 273/904. I also have a 69 318 sitting on an engine stand. I plan on swapping it out because why not get the extra hp if its just sitting there. I also know that with my car being power steering column shift I am pretty much handcuffed on exhaust manifolds. Will my manifolds work well enough on the 318 or will it choke it too much? Will my 904 bolt right up or is there a difference?

Thanks
Joel

My 318 in my 65 Ply is breathing through the 273 manifolds, and it breaths quite well... Mine is a b-body, don't know if there is a difference in manifolds...

Yep, manifolds will bolt right on. On the street you won't lose anything, and the 318's additional torque will be a nice improvement. This is assuming the 318 is pretty close to stock. The early A manifolds would support about 250 hp. If you plan on major power upgrades down the road, the manifolds will hold you back.

The 904 should bolt right up. You'll need a torque converter register bushing to mate the 65 converter to the 69 crank. The 65 had a smaller diameter TC register. Or, if you wanted to use a 68-up converter you'd have to do some parts swapping in the transmission.

Ok that all sounds good. Not planning on anything spectacular as far as mods go, maybe a cam, intake manifold, fuel injection from a later mopar, 340 springs. So I should stay in that 250 range I think

Do a search for "Torqueflite Patty". Bushings are sold thru them.

Found it thanks.... So with my list of things I plan to do will it breath ok or should I ditch some stuff... Not planning on a crazy cam just something like the stock 340 hipo, I'm not looking for anything crazy just a fun driver with some torque

If you plan on a 600ish CFB carb on a Performerish type manifold and a stock 340ish type cam you should be fine. Accurate makes a larger diameter y-pipe and single exhaust, or run custom dual exhaust.

Currently have dual exhaust so no problem... Plan on running a 90s throttle body injection on if which isn't much more then a 600 if any so it all sounds good

Im bringing this back up as I am potentially going another route, what if I were to use the stock 273 manifolds on a bone stock 92' Magnum 318? This car is never going down the strip I just want it to be fun to drive. I am throwing a A500 in so I am thinking why not just transplant the entire drive train.

Im bringing this back up as I am potentially going another route, what if I were to use the stock 273 manifolds on a bone stock 92' Magnum 318? This car is never going down the strip I just want it to be fun to drive. I am throwing a A500 in so I am thinking why not just transplant the entire drive train.

I think you might be better of with the manifolds from that year motor, they should flow a bit better. Manifolds have come along way in 40 years :)

Jake

The manifolds should be fine I have a set on my stock 73 360 and it runs just fine as a street car.

The magnum manifolds will fit in an early A with a little work (easier than the trans swap). You'll have to shorten the steering column tube and change the pot coupling to a u-joint. Having 1/8 machined off the manifold port faces helps too.

This all assumes you have manual steering...

they will interfere with the steering box I'm kind of stuck with my manifolds

Power steering or manual? Ive read a bit on this and it seams that theyll fit with a few minor adjustments. This is what i am going to be using on my 273 in my 63 valiant and waiting to put the whole thing in as we speak. EESTATIC has a post on this exact issue, you should have a look if you havent already.

Jake

-
Back