273 Formula S question

-

zhandfull

Reaction score
Putting the engine back together and wondering if the two items in the squares below are from the factory.

Item 1 is a plastic 90 degree fitting that goes to the power brake booster.

Item 2 is a some timing device I suspect this may of been installed later to comply with California smog check programs. Or is it original equipment?

Also looking for any factory correct 1966 HP 273 pictures that could aid making the top of the engine factory correct during reassembly.

Attachments

• 1966 Mauve Formula S 025r.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 305
Putting the engine back together and wondering if the two items in the squares below are from the factory.

Item 2 is a some timing device I suspect this may of been installed later to comply with California smog check programs. Or is it original equipment?

Also looking for any factory correct 1966 HP 273 pictures that could aid making the top of the engine factory correct during reassembly.

Hi! The first white plastic part is a check valve. It was used for keeping the vacuum with the system if the engine stopped. The other valve I have never seen. I know for sure that if the car had more then one vacuum outlet it was often used for a/c unit. Can it have been used for the choke?

If this was originally a CA car and is a 66, it could very well be a factory item

However, this gets muddied. I don't remember the name of "them" but many cars before I left CA (Miramar) in 74 had to be RETROFITTED with thermostatic valves--typically cut into the top rad hose--which controlled dist. vacuum. These typically had a bright lime green color as well as lime green silicone to be dabbed over the top of the idle mixture screws to "seal" them after "proper" adjustment. Some of these had plastic caps over the idle screws.

I don't remember how far back this retrofit went, but a friend of mine had a 62/ 63 Chevy II which had to have it installed --and of course no cars, CA or otherwise, had factory smog equipment before the 66 model year.

But I digress

If you no longer have to have the car inspected, I'd be removing it.

For the 90degree line to the Power Brake Booster, I've never seen one of those installed on any car originally. For 64-67 273's I've only seen the single vaccum port Nipple bolted into the intake, and a hose comes straight up/out to the booster. Maybe at one point someone had a problem with the hose kinking or my thought is when they added the check valve (Definitely not original equipment) they removed the original nipple for one with additional vacuum ports, that they added the 90 for some reason.

Cant take pictures of mine, which I keep as the original look, because I only have manual brakes.

My 65 had the same 90 deg check valve as you have pictured. Wonder where a replacement could be found?

Attachments

• eng7.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 233
The the item in first square (passenger side) is the Chrysler Clean Air Package (CAP). Installed at the factory for California cars.
Its function is to to reduce emissions on deceleration.

One port is connected to manifold vac. one is to ported vac., and the last port is connected to the vac advance on the dist.

On deceleration the vac advance is pulled to full advance by high manifold vac. thus helping burn off the rich mixture on deceleration.

When driving the vac advance operates through the ported vac as if it had no CAP.

This is Chrysler engineering at work. Clean simple and no effect on performance or milage.

Meanwhile Ford and GM went with the complicated performance and milage killing AIR system.

Hey thanks guys I thought it may be factory but was not sure. It's all going back on then. Not quite as clean looking as the non California cars but it is what it is.

My '65 Formula S has that same check valve on the power brakes. I found that you have to be careful how it's installed. If you put it in wrong the brakes won't work right, in my case it was very hard to push the pedal.

Yes and Yes. Both factory parts although I don't remember seeing the C.A.P. valve plastic cover in black in a '66 A-body model. All mine have the green cover. Maybe replacement or different plant used different colors?

-
Back