273 harmonic balancer bolt

-
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm needing to replace my timing chain and already hit a road block. I can't seem to find a way to brace the crank so I can crack the harmonic balancer bolt loose. I've tried wedging a screwdriver between the flywheel teeth and bell housing but always slips out under force. Is the bolt reverse threaded? I don't have an impact wrench & the engine is still in the car. I've heard some brace the breaker bar against the inner fender and use the starter to break it free but the seems sketchy. What have you guys done when attempting this task?

Thanks FABO!!

Bolt a strap between one of the pulley bolt holes and a water pump bolt hole...or go buy an impact. It is NOT reverse threads.

Without a impact, I would use a breaker bar and brace it on top of the left frame rail then bump the starter. Don't stand in front of the car or try and hold the bar.

Pulley is NOT behind the bolt or washer. It is a snug fit. You might have to tap it with a rubber mallet. Back when I didn't have any power tools I just used some 1/8" or so steel and drilled two holes. Just get the holes close because you will be able to adjust the distance by rotating the crank.

Pulley is NOT behind the bolt or washer. It is a snug fit. You might have to tap it with a rubber mallet. Back when I didn't have any power tools I just used some 1/8" or so steel and drilled two holes. Just get the holes close because you will be able to adjust the distance by rotating the crank.

Perfect, what a huge help you've been. I'll try this tomorrow, thank you!

I have wedged a breaker bar against the frame and bumped the starter. Consider the direction (counter clockwise) of the crank bolt when wedging the breaker bar.

-
Back