273 heads for stock eliminator

-

A/MP

Reaction score
I'm in the process of putting together a J/SA '65 Dart. NHRA has listed 3 heads for this year and motor combo. Does anyone have the scoop on what head is the best? Thanks

hi, according to NHRA, tech, the 315,675, 302 are the legal heads allowed.
the newer 302 head, has larger port volumes with 1.78 &1,50 valves.
this is for 1965 only. the 1966 273 is allowed same heads plus,920,585,973 castings. I would call NHRA tech, get a written ruling on the allowed heads,
If you want to be competive in stock, have the heads done by a shop, that knows and does stock eliminator machine work. also, have them do block machining. in the real world of stock racing, you need someone that speaks stock eliminator. most important areas are, pistons, bore finish, valve job, ring combo, balance,cam grind/lobe shape. most average shops do not know or understand how to make a stocker run fast. you have to think outside the box, so to speak. welcome to NHRA stock elimator. a friend , just built a 235/273 for I/SA, so far has run, 12.20's on a 12.65 index first time out.

hi, according to NHRA, tech, the 315,675, 302 are the legal heads allowed.
the newer 302 head, has larger port volumes with 1.78 &1,50 valves.
this is for 1965 only. the 1966 273 is allowed same heads plus,920,585,973 castings. I would call NHRA tech, get a written ruling on the allowed heads,
If you want to be competive in stock, have the heads done by a shop, that knows and does stock eliminator machine work. also, have them do block machining. in the real world of stock racing, you need someone that speaks stock eliminator. most important areas are, pistons, bore finish, valve job, ring combo, balance,cam grind/lobe shape. most average shops do not know or understand how to make a stocker run fast. you have to think outside the box, so to speak. welcome to NHRA stock elimator. a friend , just built a 235/273 for I/SA, so far has run, 12.20's on a 12.65 index first time out.

Everything he said. Including the written ruling. I will also ad, nobody that wins with Stock Eliminator engines will tell you why...lol.

Dunno if you noticed, but Angela Bushmaker ran 12.006 at Pomona in K/SA with her 235hp, 273 4bbl '65 Valiant two days ago.

Her engine work is done by Larry Hollums who has built some REAL impressive L-A motors for Stock and Super Stock over the years.

I believe he's in Kent, WA. "Hollums-Bragg Machine..."

The type of shop that perfacar mentioned, in addition to doing the work, should also tell you which heads are best. They might not even prep a set they don't recommend. A good 273 racer could tell you, too. They'll be anything but stock when they get done! Save your $$$$!

Reminds me of a story. Years ago, a guy I knew of wanted to buy a stock engine for his old Mustang. He inadvertedly bought a used "stocker" engine. (Before they were as expensive as they are now.) He couldn't understand why it idled so terribly!!

-
Back