273 Hi-Po exhaust resonator?

-

1967DartGT

Reaction score
Hey folks, I've always been curious about the function of the resonators that came with the 273 Hi-Po Charger/Commando setup. I've never heard one and was wondering if they mellowed the exhaust tone or amplified it? If anyone has sound clips that would be great.

Thanks,

Kevin

I hope someone responds also. There has been threads about the HP exhaust
sound before but no-one responded with sound bytes. I think there is a couple of guys here that have the system on their Darts and Barracudas. I am going to the Nationals this summer and I'm sure someone with the OEM system will start their ride and let me listen. I'll have to post the sound bytes then. toolmanmike

The muffler was a straight through design. You could even look through it and there were only holes in the pipe that passed through making the muffler really only a big resonator. The resonator tip is basically an echo chamber that somewhat mellows the sound at idle, but again it is a straight through design as well. Both muffler and resonator amount to the quietening of a flowmaster 40 or so. They have a nice throaty rumble. the 273 sounded much more menacing than motors much bigger.

-
Back