273 hipo intake question- porting

-

1974DartSwinger

Reaction score
Hey everyone, So I found a pretty good deal on an extra 4bbl 273 hipo intake. My current set up in the '66 Barracuda is a 1974 360 block/heads with the 273 hipo intake and carter afb. Its the factory 273 commando set up just put on a 360.

My question is I'm not 100% sure but I thought the 273 intake ports were really tiny compared to the 360. I was thinking about picking up this spare intake and seeing what I could do about port matching it to the 360 heads. Has anyone tried this? I'm not sure how much power is to be had but figured it would be worth a shot. I like keeping things on the sleeper/factory side.

Thanks!

Hopefully its a '66 or later 4bbl intake. 64-65 had different bolt angles into the head.

Yes, Portmatching it to the head will aid in reducing the turbulance between the intake and the head.

Was it just the intake that was different? Are the exhaust ports that same post 65 and same as the 318?

Thanks

exhaust should be fairly similar to the 318. but theyre both on the small side 273 and 318. id worry bout the exhaust more than the intake. the intake you can open up a bit but you dont want to go too far for fear of cutting through. going from the smaller intake manifold port to the larger 360 port opening is not as much as a problem cause you got the smaller going onto the larger. the only restriction would be the size of the intake passages. on the exhaust you got the larger head port goin into the smaller manifold port. problem is you aint got many options as far as exhaust goes with the early A's.
All in all, yes you can do some port matching but be careful not to go to far cause you dint want to gt too thin with the iron.If Its brittle and could crack when you torque it down.

Thanks omahamoparguy!

I was just wondering if the early cast exhaust mainfolds would fit a 318 until I get some headers sorted, that's all.

Sorry to hijack the thread!

If you're going to use stock 273 intake and exhaust manifolds, you'd be better off reworking some 273/318 heads. Mild porting and bigger valves would be my suggestion. Too much turbulence trying to use the big port heads and it's virtually impossible to keep an exhaust gasket from blowing out.

Why on earth would you want to use the 273 intake on a 360? It was terrible on a 273.

It may not flow the best on big cube engines but it works well on a 273 and 318. That single plane allows it to rev real quick.

-
Back