273 intake manifold, and valve cover questions

-

Litz

Reaction score
I need to replace the intake manifold gasgets on my 65 Valiant 273 2bbl and would like recommendations on which is the best gasget set, and what type of gasget cement is best for this application? I will also be replacing the stock valve covers with a set of chrome covers that I picked up at the spring fling. My question on the valve covers. The stock covers had a pcv valve on the right cover and a breather on the left cover with a hose to the air cleaner. I picked up a grommet, and pcv valve for the right cover and an oil fill plug for the left cover. My question is do I need to replace the oil fill plug with some type of breather or is the pcv valve enough? Thanks in advance. Litz

it's supposed to be flow thru ventilation. so you have the pcv on one side and/or one corner, of the engine sucking out the vapors, and you have a filtered vent on the opposite side allowing outside air into the engine.

it's supposed to be flow thru ventilation. so you have the pcv on one side and/or one corner, of the engine sucking out the vapors, and you have a filtered vent on the opposite side allowing outside air into the engine.
Thanks for the info. I'll pick up a filtered vent for the other side.

I like the felpro print-a-seal type intake gaskets. I didn't use any cement. Just red RTV silicone in a few places.

Lets talk about the end gaskets. I used black Mopar silicone and no gaskets with good results. I torqued the intake and let it set up overnight before starting the engine

Question: Engine ventilation moves in one direction correct? In through the driver-side valve cover through the crankcase and out the passenger-side pcv to the intake? What happens if you have the pcv on the opposite side?

Question: Engine ventilation moves in one direction correct? In through the driver-side valve cover through the crankcase and out the passenger-side pcv to the intake? What happens if you have the pcv on the opposite side?
I don't see any difference. As long as you have them on opposite sides of the engine it shouldn't matter.
Interesting enough, a slant/6 has them on opposite ends of the same valve cover.

-
Back