273 intake manifold mounting angle

-

67cudadon

Reaction score
I have a model 2463252 2 bbl intake manifold, the mounting angle appears to be 60 degrees, my heads appear to require 50 degree mounting angles. What model intake manifold is required and could I just machine the 50 degree angle in the current manifold?

Also, I don't have an oil dip stick, does anyone have the specifications or could lead me to the specifications to make one?

Thanks,
Don

Were those heads ever cut? I should sit right in the valley. The only difference I know of is the bolt angle and size on the early 273's.

I really don't know. I picked the car up in pieces and trying to get back on the road. I don't see too much risk, if I get the bolt angle correct and the contact surface perpendicular.

It is a fairly common practice to re-angle the bolt holes for 273 intakes. Back in the 70s there would be 66 and up 273s in the wrecking yards so a lot of people with a 64 or 65 Barracuda or Dart who wanted a four barrel would just get the later manifold and re-drill the bolt holes. An inexpensive way to get a four barrel and there weren't many aftermarket manifolds even available at the time for the early engine. It looks a little redneck but works.

Do you need dimensions for the dipstick tube or the dipstick itself or both?

OK I got some dimensions for you. The overall length of the dipstick tube is 9-1/8". There is 8-1/8 above the bottom of the expanded ridge that seats on the block with exactly 1" that gets inserted. The dipstick length is 18-1/8" overall from the bottom of the ridge that contacts the tube. It is 16-5/8" from the bottom of that ridge to the full mark and 17-1/8" to the add mark. The original dipstick has a slight curve built into it too. These measurements are from a 1964 273. If you need any additional info let me know.

Glenn

Attachments

• DSC_0020.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 247
You never clarified your question. Are you asking about the angle of the bolt holes or the angle of the mating surfaces on the head and intake?

It appears the former, and I have never heard of heads or intakes that don't have 45 deg (off vertical) surfaces. I don't know how you are guessing 50 and 60 degrees. Can you post a photo?

The early 273 heads and intakes had bolts that were ~16 deg off vertical (measured on mine) and later 273 and all other SB's until Magnums had bolts 45 deg off vertical (guessing). I put a later manifold on my 273 by redneck countersinking the holes for flat-head screws. If you have a rare early manifold, don't hack it, instead sell it to an early 273 owner for $$$ and buy a cheaper later manifold.

-
Back