273 pistons needed

-

yonson

Reaction score
Greetings from a newbie
I have a '64 273 apart, cyl. bores have about .006 taper & am not comfortable putting it back together that way, even though it will remain stock (2 bbl). Would like to hone the bores myself to .010 over but am not finding a source for pistons in that size. Any suggestions? Thanx

I have a full set of .030 over 2bbl 273 pistons that have very little run time on them id make screamen deal on if you were intrested.

PAW? Where have you been for the past 4 years? :) they are long gone unless you own a 331 hemi...Kanter, Egge, and northernauto still sell 273 pistons. Id look on rockauto before anyone, they have closeouts from time to time. I once bought a bare piston for 7 bucks.

Thanks Hipo65, will have a number of factors to consider starting with O/S bores as I am not prepared to take out .030 myself.

You might find .010 over rings. I suppose the skirts are undersize too though.

PAW? Where have you been for the past 4 years? :) they are long gone unless you own a 331 hemi...Kanter, Egge, and northernauto still sell 273 pistons. Id look on rockauto before anyone, they have closeouts from time to time. I once bought a bare piston for 7 bucks.

:eek:ops:You're right. I have thrown that answer out so many times, it slipped my mind. They had them last time I ordered in 2009, it just slipped my feeble mind.

I have a set of Chrysler 273 2 barrel pistons ,040 over. NOS, still in boxes. PM if interested.

It's pretty tough to remove .006 taper with a hone. The hone is a finish polisher to smooth the marks that a boring bar produces creating a cross hatch the rings can seal against. Good luck. tmm

Guys, thanks for the offers & info.
Of course honing cyl. bores is labor intensive (have some experience) & coarse grit stones can do the job but .030 is too much. Haven't got a clue as to what machine shops charge these days for that service.
Hipo65, I assume those are flat top pistons?

-
Back