273 price>?

-
I bought a rebuilder 66 273/235 motor for $150. Probably could have just cleaned it up and run it, but since it is destined to go in a Barracuda that's eventually going to Holland, went with a rebuild. Didn't take much to rebuild it - stayed a standard bore and standard size main and rod bearings. Motor was a bargain!
Disclaimer - Your results might vary!

I traded mine (which I had pulled out of my Dart GT) for a setup of Dual Flex-A-Lite electric fans/shroud..(see pic in sig, below)

--

They aren't worth much. You would be lucky to give one away. They just don't have much performance potential with the small bore these days when you compared to say a 318 with or 360.

But the steel cranks (with the 3.31 stroke, same as 318/340) gotta be worth close to $100, no? And the adjustable rockers if they're in decent shape?? But yeah.....other than that, I doubt they're worth a ton o' dough.

I forgot if the 273 steel cranks are 100% compatible to drop in a 318/340.....I know there would probably be balance issues.

I have a 273 crank I would like to know if it is a direct drop in for a 340. Might have enough parts to build a budget 340 if that is the case. I'm not sure but seems like it would drop right in a 318 or 340

I traded a set of 360 heads and got a complete parts engine. I Used bits and pieces in the rebuild of my original 273 (Some of the Rocker Arms, & a rod).

I have one in a 1967 Coronet. It's a 2bbl motor. I would be happy if someone would pull it and give me $100 for it.
Dallas

The rockers and push rods will be worth more than the rest of the engine. Yes it is a very good engine and they made boatloads of them. There was a guy from PA a few years ago that had one in a 68 Dart (street car) that ran in the high 12's. But just sayin', they are kinda like poly 318's, Good,, but other than just for basic use,hard to spend any money on.

Yep. You are gonna hear this called "another SB boat anchor":angry7:. They don't fetch much sadly. But if they are in an original 273 Commando car, prepare to pony up sucker!:toothy10:

Around here......$150-250 for a complete 2bbl......double/triple that for a 4bbl. A lot depends on condition and year. The best years are '66-7. The crank will bolt into a 318/340 if you're will to rebalance. If it's a manual trans 273 steel crank going into a manual trans. 340 application, no mods are needed but if it's an automatic 273 crank, you will have to have a converter made or the end of the crank will need to be machined to accept the later, larger, converter button. If you found a '68-9 273, it has very little going for it.....cast crank, hydrolic cam, 2bbl only, and no dress-up parts. The '64-5 have the early 273 only heads and intake.

-
Back