273 Rebuild numbers matching

-
Reaction score
I recently bought a 65 Barracuda from a friend and he has a 318 in it from a 78 Diplomat. He threw in the numbers matching 273 Motor to the car, He said it was knocking, I just started tearing into it. I need some info on where I can buy engine rebuild kits for the 273, Thanks, Gary:thumblef:

Technically, there is no "numbers matching" in 1965. The engines weren't coded to the chassis number. But it's cool you have the original engine.

When I rebuilt my 273, pretty much everything was available from the normal sources. The only exception was oversize pistons. I believe these are still available from Egge.

Is this a standard 2-bbl 273 or the 4-bbl Commando? Some of the Commando bits are harder to find. Aside from the dress-up parts (valve covers, air cleaner), it's getting tough to locate the correct points, high compression pistons, and solid cam.

Technically, there is no "numbers matching" in 1965. The engines weren't coded to the chassis number. But it's cool you have the original engine.

When I rebuilt my 273, pretty much everything was available from the normal sources. The only exception was oversize pistons. I believe these are still available from Egge.

Is this a standard 2-bbl 273 or the 4-bbl Commando? Some of the Commando bits are harder to find. Aside from the dress-up parts (valve covers, air cleaner), it's getting tough to locate the correct points, high compression pistons, and solid cam.

Correct-o-mungo! I found points at NAPA,high compression pistons at Egge, and Isky has a E-4 cam that is close to the oem 4 barrell cam specs. tmm

Don't think anyone makes a "kit" per se...you'll just have to source everything individually. Lots of 318 LA parts fit, but pistons and rings are 273 exclusive.

You can get top end stuff from Comp. We dug into Dads 273 and used them. Good stuff! I think Kanter makes or sells the hipo pistons as well

If you're looking for a few upgrades you can always look to the aftermarket too. A set of custom pistons and a set of custom head gaskets will go a long way to setting the 273 up to rock and if you're competely rebuilding anyway - they won't break the budget.

If you're looking for a few upgrades you can always look to the aftermarket too. A set of custom pistons and a set of custom head gaskets will go a long way to setting the 273 up to rock and if you're competely rebuilding anyway - they won't break the budget.

X2 on the above statement! Especially true when it comes to head gaskets on the 273! I'd recommend getting a custom set of Cometic gaskets made for the 3.63 bore (say ~3.75 to allow for a +0.030" bore and keep the gasket out of the chamber). Try http://4secondsflat.com/cometic.html A set is somewhat "pricey" but they are reusable. Felpro's tend to run 4.180 bore in their gaskets for a small block....that's ~9cc volume when compressed to .040". The same thickness Cometic at 3.75 bore would be ~7.25cc...or go with .035" and you'll be at 6.33cc. While 2-3cc's might not sound like much, on a 273 it can be. Also, let us know what you plan to do with the engine. Many of us on here might be able to help you out with parts. If you're building it more for racing, consider reading the following thread... http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=225211 If you're going for more of a stock rebuild but, just a little more power, let us know that too. I currently have 3 full sets of +0.030 forged pistons (~12.5:1 Venolia with vertically ported top ring, 10.5:1 TRW replacement pistons, and a custom set of Wiseco's ~10:1). Once I decide what _I'm_ doing (LOL!), I might be able to part with a set or two. I also have a new Crower 31300 camshaft I'm considering parting with (264/264, .474/.474 solid)...a bit to small for my use but, a little hotter than most 273 cams. In short, give us more details and I'm sure others on here will be glad to offer suggestions! -Phillip

X2 on the above statement! Especially true when it comes to head gaskets on the 273! I'd recommend getting a custom set of Cometic gaskets made for the 3.63 bore (say ~3.75 to allow for a +0.030" bore and keep the gasket out of the chamber). Try http://4secondsflat.com/cometic.html A set is somewhat "pricey" but they are reusable. Felpro's tend to run 4.180 bore in their gaskets for a small block....that's ~9cc volume when compressed to .040". The same thickness Cometic at 3.75 bore would be ~7.25cc...or go with .035" and you'll be at 6.33cc. While 2-3cc's might not sound like much, on a 273 it can be. Also, let us know what you plan to do with the engine. Many of us on here might be able to help you out with parts. If you're building it more for racing, consider reading the following thread... http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=225211 If you're going for more of a stock rebuild but, just a little more power, let us know that too. I currently have 3 full sets of +0.030 forged pistons (~12.5:1 Venolia with vertically ported top ring, 10.5:1 TRW replacement pistons, and a custom set of Wiseco's ~10:1). Once I decide what _I'm_ doing (LOL!), I might be able to part with a set or two. I also have a new Crower 31300 camshaft I'm considering parting with (264/264, .474/.474 solid)...a bit to small for my use but, a little hotter than most 273 cams. In short, give us more details and I'm sure others on here will be glad to offer suggestions! -Phillip
You have some good parts there. tmm

$155 for 2 head gaskets??? holy cow!!! I got Mopar Perf. thin gaskets (.024) for $40/pair. I don't plan on it coming apart anytime soon, so re-usable isn't important to me.

How many times "re-usable"?

I used Egge for pistons on my flat-head .080" over good quality for the money.
No typo .080" over.

I don;t care about reusable. I care about dead space taking away volume that could be used for power. All of the standard head gaskets are made for the largest oversize of the largest bore - 4.10. So when you use them on a 273 there's a lot of dead space between the head and block that's not exposed to get filled with air/fuel and does nothing but suck up power. Heance the small bore gaskets. Oldschool (NOS) 273 head gaskets were thin steel on a small bore.

I don;t care about reusable. I care about dead space taking away volume that could be used for power. All of the standard head gaskets are made for the largest oversize of the largest bore - 4.10. So when you use them on a 273 there's a lot of dead space between the head and block that's not exposed to get filled with air/fuel and does nothing but suck up power. Heance the small bore gaskets. Oldschool (NOS) 273 head gaskets were thin steel on a small bore.

Agreed!

X2 plus the larger bore gasket reduces the sealing in the combustion chamber.

-
Back