273 Start Up after one year

-

bearwolf64

Bearwolf50
Reaction score
All

I have a 273 that has been sitting for a year. What do I need to do to it to prevent as much internal damage as possible. Yes I wish it had been prep for storage, but it was not.

Bear

You can prime the pump with a distributor drive gear end attached to a drill. Rotate the engine while you do so and when you pass the oil passages for the rockers oil will show up through the shafts. Or you can just change the oil and filter. Fill the filter with oil first and pour the rest in over the rockers. Drain and flush your radiator, then add a mixture of fresh water and antifreeze.

Shouldn't be a big deal unless it's a high humidity environment. You can pull the plugs and squirt some oil in each cylinder, then crank the engine over until the oil pressure comes up if you like, but I'd just start it myself. If you preoil, be prepared for lots of smoke once you start it! I had a neighbor call the fire department once thinking the garage was on fire!

And to think I am concerned with starting it up after only two months of sitting...

-
Back