273 To 340

-

Shane

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I got a 273 in my 68 barracuda, and I have a 340 on the engine stand. The spout of the water pump is on opposite sides. The 273 in the car has the spout on the driver side, and the rad hooks up on the driver side, and the 340 has the spout on the passenger side... Can I just run the hose under the fan?

Or do I just switch the water pumps when I pull the motor??

thanks,

Shane

i wouldnt run the hose under the fan but thats just me bolt on the cast iron waterpump on the 340 and run it or you can star looking for a radiater but while yr looking may as well be runnin no

I ran long flex hose under the fan years ago with no problems. Might of even been two flex hose connected together. One of the 273 motor mounts won't work on the 340 with out modification/welding I think it may have been driver side the ears on the block were reversed.

I just finished swapping 273 for 340 in my '67. I bought a different radiator. I've got a friend who ran his hose under his fan. Either way will work. The motor mount is an issue. You either have to shim the 273 mount, or get the correct 340 A-body mount. I ended up buying a new pair from Schumacher. Kind of pricey...

You'll find the timing marks on your front cover are the opposite way too, so you might want to swap the front cover as well.

Yea I did notice the timing marks...My rad is the original one from 68. I am thinking I may switch out the rad for a new one. What rad did you replace it with?

I bought 340 Motor mounts, so I am hoping they will line up properly. Guess I will find out when I pull out the motor...

I bought my radiator off of e-bay. It came out of a '69 340 Barracuda. I found the brackets to be different than my '67, so we had to drill new holes. The radiator was after market, not Mopar.

I can be of assistance here since I just finished this exact swap. This is what I had to do to keep my original 273 brackets for my PS and Alternator. Here is what you'll need.

This is the High Flow Milodon water pump that fits the original 273 brackets
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MIL-16251&N=700+0&autoview=sku

mil-16251.jpg

47b6d733b3127ccecf4c1e481ee600000016100AYs27Ji3ZsmIPbz4E

You can use the 273 brackets with no problem. I used the timing marks from the 273 tab and found TDC with a piston stop.

old bracket from 273
47b6d733b3127ccecf4cd331df5100000016100AYs27Ji3ZsmIPbz4E

Then I marked the harmonic balancer at TDC for the timing cover of the 340. The old balancer timing marks for the 273 I filled in with putty and painted over it. Now I only have a mark that lines up with the 340 tabs on the timing chain cover. MInd you that I have power steering on my rig and can see the marks easily as well.

47b6d733b3127ccecf4d2af43e0c00000016100AYs27Ji3ZsmIPbz4E

I did get a new radiator because I needed a better one to handle my 340. Of course, you can order a radiator with the outlets however you like.

This link on the same subject may give you some more tips. Hope this helps.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=12525&highlight=water+pump

Dave

thanks for all the replies!

My bad on not searching the topic before I asked the question. But there is alot of good info in the link that was posted there.

I found a local rad shop that will recore my rad with high flow parts, and switch my inlet over to the right side. So that is the root I will be taking with that.

Thanks,

Shane

-
Back