273 valve lash adjustment

-

Oldschoolcuda

Early-A Body Nerd
Reaction score
Want to adjust the valve lash on my Valiant with the engine cold this time. How much should I compensate on the .013 intake & .021 exhaust adjustment for a cold engine. Any info. appreciated. Thanks.

Oldschoolcuda

Not much, better though too loose than tight, Maybe max .015 & .025.

I always adjust not hot but slightly warm after I know that I am in the ball park..

I looked in the service manual and the owners manual and I can't find any cold specs. I have allways set mine hot. toolmanmike

Thanks for the info guys. Will probably just do them with the engine warmed up like usual. Let it get to hot last time & burnt the crap out of my forearm turning the crank. Seems like there would be cold adjustment numbers but I can't find em.

Oldschoolcuda

Thanks for the info. John. Figured they needed to be set a little tighter when cold.

Oldschoolcuda
P.S. Are you going to moparmadness at virginia motorsports park next Sat.

I think you have it backwards. a cold engine will have no expansion and should there fore be adjusted looser I do agree that cold lash is different between cast and alum heads.When the motor heads up and things expand you would have almost no clearance. next time you set them warm let it cool a day and recheck for a cold lash setting. I,d bet it will be 3 or 4 thousandths larger.

Correct that was I said looser when cols. Whem metal gets hot it expands. capish?

hope that helps...

I think I understand how you guys are thinking but you have to imagine the head heating up and expanding. In doing so it is lifting the rocker further away from the pushrod therefore tightening up the lash clearance cold will come out to the proper spec hot. I`m not real good at explaining things but I hope this helps.

Thanks for the info guys. Will probably just do them with the engine warmed up like usual. Let it get to hot last time & burnt the crap out of my forearm turning the crank. Seems like there would be cold adjustment numbers but I can't find em.

Oldschoolcuda

If it's a manual stick it in 4th and just roll it fouward to turn the crank.

I found a broken adjuster on the car we just bought. Where can I find an adjuster and lock but?
‘65 273 Barracuda.

Looks like summit has them- fingers crossed that it is correct.
Always interesting when you buy a car this old. I have found some surprisingly shoddy repairs. Lol
No rust! Most happy about that.

-
Back