273 Weber Intake Manifold

-

Hyper_pak

Old School Chrysler Fan
Reaction score
I saw the post by a member about the prototype 273 intake and it got me wondering about rare 273 intakes. Does anyone know anything about this intake? It was a Hot Rod magazine article on hopping up a 273. Claimed only Dave Koffel had one running at the time. I think they were wanting to do it, but the pictures are a mock up. On the cover shot the carbs are turned different in the center. Black and white pictures have them mounted different. For real?
273 Webers II.JPG
273 Webers.JPG

Been around 273's since the early 70's. I remember reading the article but have never seen one for sale anywhere.

I've been around since Moby Dick was a minnow. I remember the article but have never seen one in person.

This may sound strange but ......I want to say that I heard or read somewhere that Koffel still had the engine or Weber setup. Maybe Stewart Pomeroy or Paul Ceasrine or told me that when they were still around? I'll have to look through my emails and notes on my D/Dart. Might be in there somewhere.

It's a ***** growing old. I'll be the first to admit that I have a case of CRS.

I sent a message to Dave Koffel and this is what I got back:

The black and white pictures on the inside of that Hot Rod Magazine article is our engine that we set the CFX record with. The engine on the cover belonged to a fellow in Fla. by the name of Patterson....forgot what he was running.....but yes....we were the first to actually run the Webers. Geoff Stunkard did an article on the rivalry between Dave and Bill Hoefer's CFX and we kept trading the national record back and forth. You might contact him to read the article.

Susie Koffel

I got another message from the Koffels this morning!
"Enclosed is a picture of the CFX...engine and Dick Maxwell helping Dave the first time out at Muncie Dragway when we set the first Nat. record."

If you look close at the engine picture you can see the intake base and the runners to each barrel.

cfx composite.jpg
CFX Winner snip.JPG

I am hoping to live long enough to get Hilborn style EFI on mine. I had bought a SB Chev Hilborn setup and was going to chop it apart and adapt it to a Mopar base of some sort. "Somewhere" I had info someone was making Mopar SB intake flanges, which would be a big start.

Also, I've thought about using the two-piece B/ RB Algon/ Hilborn style and adapt them same deal.

AND THEN I scored...............

You guys ARE NOT GONNA GUESS what Del scored!!!

complete-jpg.jpg

top-jpg.jpg

stacks-jpg.jpg

-
Back