-

grjammer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to pull 273 out for rebuild, just a couple curious questions
Does the 180 hp engine have adjustable rockers or only the HP version.
fender tag says HP, but not assuming since it is an eldebrock with holley on it.

Where is the vin on the block? cant find anything behind left head

The last 2 years switched to hydraulic, but all others 2 or 4 bbl's have adjustables

Thanks for info, I still don't know what engine is "really" in the car. I am going to pull it out soon but would like to find out where any stampings are supposed to be located. I cant find a vin stamp behind drivers head on block. I will get my tools out of storage and maybe start today.

I don't think the casting number will tell you if have the 180 or 235 engine but if its gonna be a full rebuild doesn't matter anyways pistons and cam are the only difference in the long block. And I think on the drivers side 273/318/340 or 360 should be cast on the side of the block.

casting numbers are probably there, haven't scrapped the gunk off yet, but wonder if there is a vin somewhere

disappointed when I looked at casting number, have a 7630-318-4, think its a truck engine..however it does open up the possibilities for a build as I now am not concerned with a date coded 273 HP, which is what the car came with. wonder what else I will find that's been changed.

My 273 rebuild was just finished a few weeks ago. It was in a 1966 Dart GT, 180 hp version and it had adjustable rockers in it.

Thanks for info, I still don't know what engine is "really" in the car. I am going to pull it out soon but would like to find out where any stampings are supposed to be located. I cant find a vin stamp behind drivers head on block. I will get my tools out of storage and maybe start today.

...they didn't start that until after 273s were phased out, after the 67 model year.

Fender tag should be coded 32 under the AB for a HP engine. Like the guy's said, no vin# on the block but there is a casting number.

-
Back