275/60/15's on 15x7 cop wheels on a 71 Dart?

-

Cal_gecko

Citron Yella!!
Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone is running 275/60/15 tires on 15x7 cop wheels (or some other wheel with the same backspacking and size) on the rear of a Swinger? Curious if there are any rubbing issues...

I have NOT done any kind of spring perch relocation or anything like that... it's got an A-Body 8.75" rear end with big bolt pattern axles.

Thanks

I run 275/60/15s, It's tight. Stock suspension setup. You might have to roll the lip of the fender or beat them out slightly I only rolled the fender lip. I run 245/60/15 on the front, which is also very tight. Both might require some minor body modifications as the bodys of the cars can vary slightly.

IMG_1228.jpg

IMG_1226.jpg

The cop car wheels are 7" wide with about a 4 1/4" backspacing.

Here is how close they are to the spring, I think my pointer finger was in between the spring and tire touching on both the spring and tire. So there is about 1/2- 3/4 of an inch space.
IMG_1415.jpg

275 on a 7 inch wheel will fit but it will bulge at the rim...8 inch wheel is recommended

My Dad runs factory 15x6 rallyes with 275-60-R15s on his 68 Charger R/T for the past 20 years no problems.

Huge difference in wheel well room between a Charger and a Dart. Back in the early-70s I owned both a '70 Charger and a '69 Dart 340 Swinger. I had L60-15 tires on back of my '70 Charger and they fit great and looked outstanding. Not a prayer of ever trying to fit that size tire in the smaller space available on my '69 Dart.

Huge difference in wheel well room between a Charger and a Dart. Back in the early-70s I owned both a '70 Charger and a '69 Dart 340 Swinger. I had L60-15 tires on back of my '70 Charger and they fit great and looked outstanding. Not a prayer of ever trying to fit that size tire in the smaller space available on my '69 Dart.
I think h-60-15 was as big as I could fit on my 72 dart , then again others had larger tires on theirs , some Darts had more space than others .

I may be in the minority on this thread, but I would NEVER "roll" or bend up my quarter or fender to fit a tire......

I was answerin to what terzmo said about the bulging of the tire on a smaller rim. Sorry should have quoted him.
I understand the difference as I have 74 Swinger and wouldnt dream of them fitting. But may try it one day for ***** and grinns.

well i was runing 255 x 60 r 15 on the back of my 70 bb valiant 4 dr for 6 years with no rubbing so that about as big as you can fit without any mods

For 67 and up Darts...255/60R15 on a 7" rim with 4 1/4" back space will fit with no rubbing...stock rear suspension and no rolling of fender lip. Not a whole lot of room on either side of the tire though. I have seen that setup in person and will be running that on my Dart in the next month or two.

I highly doubt that 275's will fit.

15x8 4.5 back spacing on 255R6015's on a 71 dart
051-1.jpg

I agree with the 255/60x15 15x7 rim with 4.25 backspacing thats what I have on the back of my 70 Dart. Fits real good no rubbing. Couldn't go much larger at all though

-
Back