2nd and 5th Owner. 70 Dart Resto-Mod

-
Vary nice, I guess I should have said redo everything to your liking! Keep up the good work you have some serious skills.

Jeff

Yes exactly. Once I had a plan it is easier to stick to it. :)

Thanks for the kind words, its been a learning experience for sure.

Hell yeah it's looking good.i have wanted to paint my 73 duster plum crazy purple.im on budget.i was looking on ebay today and found the tcp.global.paint same as yours.its acrylic enamel right?

$_3-1.jpg

Lots of nice work here. Congrats on finding it back.

Update: Haven't posted in a few months. I decided, I just didn't feel comfortable tackling the rusty quarters, so I found a Mopar Resto shop near by and had him come by to evaluate the job.

He suggested replacing the two lower quarters, trunk drop offs and will also hammer dolly and block out the passenger quarter (it got hit in the day). So I got all the panels and am waiting for his green light to drop it off, which should be within the next week or so.

To keep some progress moving on my end, I went ahead and ordered some goodies from Dr. diff. 4.10 gears, 8 3/4 rebuild kit with crush sleeve eliminator and Green bearings for the axles. I also had my suregrip reconditioned by RustyRatRod. I dropped off the center section and axles today to have those parts all put together.

Since the diff was disassembled, I went ahead and cleaned it up and painted it, while I await the return of the center section.

20170929_174032.jpg

20170929_174041.jpg

20170929_212315.jpg

20170929_214445.jpg

20170929_214454.jpg

20170929_222415.jpg

20170929_222421.jpg

I am working on rebuilding the steering column now and also modding it to remove the column shift indicator. More to come on that.

The dash was also cut to **** and a complete mess wiring wise. Since the market doesn't offer a dash insert for the 70 model, I found a dash from a 74 Duster that had the square instrument cluster. So I painted the dash and got an plastic insert and some round gauges with white led's to back light it. I also had the dash pad recovered by a local shop.

View attachment 1715057802

View attachment 1715057794

View attachment 1715057795

View attachment 1715057796

View attachment 1715057797

View attachment 1715057798

View attachment 1715057799

View attachment 1715057800

View attachment 1715057801
Is that a B&M shifter modded to fit the mopar console? Looks good!

Is that a B&M shifter modded to fit the mopar console? Looks good!

Yea, the one that was in the car was a Star Shifter, but it only ratchets forward, so I swapped for a Quicksilver. The handles are thin enough and fit right into the console with some changes in the console bracket height.

Lol. I kept saying all I want to do it is drive it, but after fixing a little at a time I found myself working backwards. I then figured well might as well do it all now.
I’m the same way! You go to fix the ugly parts on the car but then that just makes all the parts you once thought were “nice” look ugly; and now you have to fix those!

I’m the same way! You go to fix the ugly parts on the car but then that just makes all the parts you once thought were “nice” look ugly; and now you have to fix those!

Exactly! I feel like I am in the home stretch, tho. Minus the paint and body work, all that it's left is to clean up the bumper brackets, restore the grill, finish the steering column and rebuild the trans.

I am feeling better And better about the paint And body work after following so many other threads. And of course put everything together. Lol.

Yea, the one that was in the car was a Star Shifter, but it only ratchets forward, so I swapped for a Quicksilver. The handles are thin enough and fit right into the console with some changes in the console bracket height.
Great idea!

Still working on the column. The cold weather is slowing me down. However got a call from the body shop, so we loaded it up. He is gonna patch the two lower quarters and trunk extensions, replace the broken door striker and fix the amateur body work on the passenger side.

20171202_082522.jpg

20171202_082510.jpg

Looks good.
Are you going to have the body shop paint the car while they have it?

Is the body shop finishing the 1/4's or just hanging them?

Is the body shop finishing the 1/4's or just hanging them?

He's going to replace both lower quarters completely and do the body work for that. Also the passenger side was hit sometime ago and was repaired poorly, so he is going to straighten it out.

You can paint it yourself, you have already proven that.

The last one I did was about 2 years ago, I swear I sanded my fingerprints off.

You can paint it yourself, you have already proven that.

The last one I did was about 2 years ago, I swear I sanded my fingerprints off.

Thanks. Haha, yea he was looking at the car and said you have a lot of sanding to do. He gave me a few tips about guide coat and blocking. Also, he said when spraying metallic to walk the entire length of the car to ensure an even pattern. And then mist the entire car afterwards.

I feel pretty good about it, I,know the prep is gonna take some time, but that's OK.

Hey Everyone!

I haven't posted in awhile, the winter weather really slowed progress. I got the car back from the body shop and he did a great job replacing both lower quarters and trunk drop offs. He also fixed some dents on the passenger side quarter, however the major one revealed so much bondo underneath the paint, he didn't feel right charging me $50/hr to strip it. I actually wouldn't have minded, but he had a full paint job coming in and my job was just in between work.

Currently, I am stripping it all down to bare metal so I can get it into Epoxy. I started by applying paint stripper to soften the paint. I then scraped what I could and used green 3M bristle brushes on my angle grinder. Although small (2") they work really well. I ordered a 4 1/2" one for my grinder. My goal is by the end of April. I found two small dents so far. I am going to try my hand with my body hammers.

I also got started on restoring the grill. It was painted all black and was missing a few fins. You can see the before, progress and after. I am almost done, I still have to do the black on the bezels and I goofed on the silver outline on the main grille, I forgot to tape that side off when I sprayed the black. :BangHead: Oh well shouldn't be too bad to scuff and re-spray.

I also got a rear disc kit from Dr. Diff that allows me to keep my SBP and my 14" Rallye wheels.

Attached are some pics so far!

20171202_202707.jpg

20171229_230047.jpg

20180106_203406.jpg

20180106_233038.jpg

20180107_130310.jpg

20180330_225016.jpg

20180330_225019.jpg

20180331_001310.jpg

View attachment 1715162995

Holy Moly. I've been working so hard, I forgot to post progress pics. Well, I got the entire car stripped and in 2 coats of epoxy primer. SPI epoxy to be exact. Great stuff and very user friendly.

20180630_120902.jpg

20180630_120856.jpg

20180630_120911.jpg

-
Back