2nd gear issues with 727 transmission

-

dartsport74

Reaction score
I had my 727 rebuilt with a transco shift kit, manual valve body,kevlar bands, when i got the trans put back in and i went to drive the car when i shift into 2nd gear it feels like someone put on the brakes and the car comes to a stop, but if i go to 3rd gear its fine and if i bring it from 3rd back to 2nd then it again works fine, anyone have any ideas what the issue is????? i cant get the trans shop to help me thank you

If the trans shop did your trans the they ARE responsible for that.
They probably broke a sealing ring on assembly, causing it to be in two gears at once. (or left a ring out)
Automatic second and manual second work differently so that would make sence that it works one way and not the other.
Seems to me that the accumulator has to do with that too, but I don't remember for sure exactly what the deal is.
AbodyJoe or Fishy68 might be able to give you the specifics since I don't remember for sure.
Thats called 1-2 bind and usually can be cured by backing off the front band a little, but the common 1-2 bind is usually only for a second or so.
Yours is constant bind.

I had my 727 rebuilt with a transco shift kit, manual valve body,kevlar bands, when i got the trans put back in and i went to drive the car when i shift into 2nd gear it feels like someone put on the brakes and the car comes to a stop, but if i go to 3rd gear its fine and if i bring it from 3rd back to 2nd then it again works fine, anyone have any ideas what the issue is????? i cant get the trans shop to help me thank you

Does it shift through the gears correctly if you put it in drive and go?

BTW: Tell the shop if they don't make it right you'll file a complaint with the BBB and post it all over the internet how they are rip offs. That usually gets some action pretty quick.

another thing of concern is you installed a manual valve body... and a shift kit???

if so thats the problem... you not supposed to take apart the manuals and change the plate lol...

......If this is the TF-3........U have something wrong with low band apply/release.......most likely in the valve body.......the biggest problem i find is that the guy didnt follow./interpet the instructions right, drilled a hole in the wrong place or installed springs in the wrong place or installed valves backwards........is the low band set right?..............kim........

What year trans? the newer ones someware around 74 and up must have the accuumulator piston locked in position. if not you will find this condition.

another thing of concern is you installed a manual valve body... and a shift kit???

if so thats the problem... you not supposed to take apart the manuals and change the plate lol...

I might be wrong but I interpreted it as it has a Trans-go manual valve body kit.

shifting from manual 1 to manual 2: both bands may be applied at the same time. this will cause the car to "slow" aggressively or stop. The 2nd gear band will burn up quickly. The low/reverse servo spring pressure may be too weak or the oil circuit is not allowing the "bleed" off of the servo fast enough. {this is known as band overlap} If you leave the gear shift selector in drive, this probably does not happen because the low/reverse band is not applied in the "D" position. So the trans may shift pretty good from 1 to 2, but not when manually shifted. When you go from 3 back to 2, the high gear clutch is released and the 2nd gear band is applied. This circuit seems to be working OK. In any case, the valvebody/low reverse servo needs immediate attention or the 2nd gear band will be the first thing to fail and fail fast!

............I like the way these ppl ask 4 help, then u never hear from them again............that f'n pisses me off......they should at least have the common courtesy to not leave us hanging...........kim.......

............I like the way these ppl ask 4 help, then u never hear from them again............that f'n pisses me off......they should at least have the common courtesy to not leave us hanging...........kim.......

LOL... I was thinking the same thing then I clicked on his profile to see if he'd been on the board lately and I see he hasn't even logged in since the time he posted this question.

thank you for all advice i have finally gotten trans shop to talk to me and turns out the valve body was the issue not allowing 2nd gear to engage, it has been fixed again thank you for all who tried to help.

to those of you who replied to try to help thank you i do appreciate it. however to those who have gotten pissy about me not logging back on you need to relax! between my work schedule, being out of town, and my computer crashing i havent been able to login on in about 3 weeks.

Do you know what the issue was?
I'd be curious to know.
Also,,,,,nobody mentioned anything about the second gear band.
Remember, it wasn't that second wasn't engaging it was they both were. 1st and 2nd (the 1-2 bind up)
Sorry, don't mean to freak anyone out after it's all done but.

thank you for all advice i have finally gotten trans shop to talk to me and turns out the valve body was the issue not allowing 2nd gear to engage, it has been fixed again thank you for all who tried to help.

I dont want to say anything incorrectly so i will have see if I can find the paper work with exactly what was wrong with the valve body something to do with an adjustment screw allowing something in trans to come too far down and lock up so it wouldnt go into second gear it drove in 1st and 3rd and if we came back from 3rd into 2nd it would work, but it wouldnt go from 1st to 2nd il will try to figure out exactly what the second guy who fixed it actually did so that i may pass it along.

-
Back