2nd gear slip

-

pro-tech

Reaction score
Before I pull my transmisson out of my 1972 Duster 360.. I was messing around last fall and was trying to impress a couple of Chevrolet dudes and they said lets see what its got ...So I got on the ole girl and shifted to 2nd gear and it spun through 2nd gear everything was fine the rest of the way home until it started having a rev when going into 2nd...So I parked it for a few days and went for a ride few days later..and when I shift into 2nd now it is almost like neutral...It goes into 2nd but as soon as you put power to it, it just revs revs..The fluid is full and clean no burnt smell, and all other gears are fine, This happened so sudden...What could of happened???It is a torque flight 904 with a shift kit.. Strip set up Any help would be appreiciated...Bill:burnout:

The front band applying (clamping down on the front clutch drum) is what gives you 2nd gear so it's either out of adjustment or the apply servo is leaking and not putting enough pressure on it to hold it tight. First thing I'd do is check the front band adjustment. I don't know what band apply lever it has in it so I can't say the exact proper setting but I'd try torqueing it to 72 inch lbs and back it off 2-1/4 turns. That's a good middle of the road setting. Make sure when you tighten down the locknut the inner adjusting screw doesn't turn. If your not familiar with how to adjust the front band go to YouTube and type in torqueflite front band adjustment and numerous video's will pop up. If it isn't the band adjustment I'd guess it's probably a blown seal on the front servo

-
Back