3.23 3rd Member

-

R0K3_B3aRd

Man with a Master plan.
Reaction score
Yea i just bought a Open 3.23 3rd member for $175 to go into my 742 8 3/4 rearend housing. I was wondering should i get the suregrip or leave it as is. Putting it into my 65 cuda once i get a bigger engine. Also what does it mean by its open 3.23?? Im not racing or anything i just want a fast street car which is why I'm building the rearend. Thanks

"Sure grip" is a 2 wheel drive under hard acceleration. "Open" is 1 wheel drive no matter how hard you drive. With a lower power car, I wouldn't worry about sure grip. A sure grip unit for a 742 case isn't cheap, so you may want to wait until you get more power and need it.

Funny thing is that the Suregrip does well on dry roads, but never use it on glare ice. Open rear can go to 50 without problems. A posi unit when you get above 10 tends to want to swap ends, under feather throttle conditions. They are good for a summer only car.

Funny thing is that the Suregrip does well on dry roads, but never use it on glare ice. Open rear can go to 50 without problems. A posi unit when you get above 10 tends to want to swap ends, under feather throttle conditions. They are good for a summer only car.

I guess that may be true in a high performance situation, but I have owned and driven many older vehicles with the limited slip in the winter. Never had any issues.

-
Back