3/4 race cam

-

pagilman

Reaction score
I was just wandering what 3/4 race cam means to you guys? This term was used in the 60's as I remember. I don't know what it means!!!!!:read2:

I was just wandering what 3/4 race cam means to you guys? This term was used in the 60's as I remember. I don't know what it means!!!!!:read2:

I guess it means someone hacked of the other 1/4 of the cam, lol. I hear that all the time in Tennessee. Apparently different cam companies would advertise there cams 3/4 or full race. I always get a laugh out of it. Typical chevy guy says, "yep, it's a 350 with four bolt mains and a 3/4 race cam and 202 double hump heads."

The term came from having either a full race lift or duration on one side of the cam like on the exh. lobe or the int. lobe of the cam and the other side would be closer to stock. It was done more for the sound of the engine than for actual performance. IIRC

I found this somewhere.

It comes from a guy named Ed Winfield. He started out making motorcycle cams with individual lobes pinned to a shaft. When he first made automotive camshafts, he was using a homemade cam grinder his mother gave him the money to buy. It was a grinder he converted into a cam grind machine by adding a rocker table. He reground Ford Model T camshafts into racing specifications. At first, he first made only two masters... a SEMI race and a FULL race grind. He later made a 3rd master that had more duration and lift than the SEMI but less than the FULL. He then used the FULL race master as an intake and the new master as an exhaust. He called this new reground camshaft a 3/4 race cam. He said it was three quarters of the way to a full race cam. He worked with the then famous Miller Racing engines and later with Offenhauser.

I guess it means someone hacked of the other 1/4 of the cam, lol. I hear that all the time in Tennessee. Apparently different cam companies would advertise there cams 3/4 or full race. I always get a laugh out of it. Typical chevy guy says, "yep, it's a 350 with four bolt mains and a 3/4 race cam and 202 double hump heads."

Ya beat me to it, goofy chevy guys get confused with numbers =P~

I found this somewhere.

It comes from a guy named Ed Winfield. He started out making motorcycle cams with individual lobes pinned to a shaft. When he first made automotive camshafts, he was using a homemade cam grinder his mother gave him the money to buy. It was a grinder he converted into a cam grind machine by adding a rocker table. He reground Ford Model T camshafts into racing specifications. At first, he first made only two masters... a SEMI race and a FULL race grind. He later made a 3rd master that had more duration and lift than the SEMI but less than the FULL. He then used the FULL race master as an intake and the new master as an exhaust. He called this new reground camshaft a 3/4 race cam. He said it was three quarters of the way to a full race cam. He worked with the then famous Miller Racing engines and later with Offenhauser.

Thats what my Dad says.........

That has as much to do with anything concerning a 3/4 cam as anything else, but Foghorn is almost as funny!

http://www.harveycrane.com/secrets7.htm

Its old timey flathead stuff (and modern Chevy Monkey stuff I guess).

I always thought it was a cam with more than 270* of advertised duration. 270 being 3/4 of 360. Looks like I was overthinking it! LOL.

Steve

I found this somewhere.

Interesting story guys, I`ve always heard the 270* duration thing too.

threequartercam.JPG

-
Back