3.9 L Cam/Timing chain noise @42K mi. Normal?

-

Danzin

Reaction score
I bought a 2001 Ram1500 3.9L from the USDA & only 42K miles. There is noise (sounds like valve train noise). This is was USDA truck used on a farm in a VERY VERY dirty environment. I have seen several blogs that say timing train valve noise is normal. Some blogs say the OEM timing chains in early-mid 90s timing chains are weak. Usually factory problems last only a year or two. What is the deal here with this noise in a 2001 3.9 only 42K confirmed miles?

3.9's had a lot of loose chain issues. You may have one without a tensioner. I don't know if all the 3.9's got them but my 96 was noisy. May be it's just a lifter. Mine had a rattley lifter as well that would come and go.

There is even a bolt on plate that goes behind the chain and tensions the chain I believe found on the magnum series engines. I’m told they bolt right on but I have yet to use one myself. Others will chime in I’m sure.
Syleng1

There is even a bolt on plate that goes behind the chain and tensions the chain I believe found on the magnum series engines. I’m told they bolt right on but I have yet to use one myself. Others will chime in I’m sure.
Syleng1

042500951507[00].jpg

042500951525[00].jpg

There's nothing "normal" about a noisy timing chain, so lets just bust that myth right now. Normal? No. Common? Very possibly. 142K maybe?

The timing chain on my brother's 94 Dakota has sounded like a coffee can full of rocks since it was nearly new. Hasn't gotten appreciably worse in 200K miles. The engine has been remarkably trouble free for the abuse and neglect it has seen. In fact the only parts that have failed have been the lower intake gasket and thermostats. The engine has always gone through thermostats which are just a little more painful to replace on Magnum engines than they ought to be IMHO.

The timing chain on my brother's 94 Dakota has sounded like a coffee can full of rocks since it was nearly new. Hasn't gotten appreciably worse in 200K miles. The engine has been remarkably trouble free for the abuse and neglect it has seen. In fact the only parts that have failed have been the lower intake gasket and thermostats. The engine has always gone through thermostats which are just a little more painful to replace on Magnum engines than they ought to be IMHO.
Those 3.9's don't heat and the t stats are a turd to replace.

I too had a low mileage Dakota that was noisy but never had an issue. I agree with RRR that it doesn't make it normal or right. That tensioner looks like a cure if your up for all that.

I think I have replaced every 3.9 timing chain in north east Ohio in my 36 plus year at a Chrysler dealership. If it's a 3.9 with even 12 thousand miles it will be noisy. Those thing are like a paint shaker.

If it's a nice truck I'd swap a 5.2 or 5.9 magnum into it. It's the easiest engine swap in the world.

Lucas oil treatment is your friend,

Screenshot_20231205-100853_Gallery.jpg

if you like rolling the dice and not tearing it down to put the new timing chain in.

☆☆☆☆☆

Lucas oil treatment is your friend,

View attachment 1716174465

if you like rolling the dice and not tearing it down to put the new timing chain in.

☆☆☆☆☆
It would take a lot off Lucas, or any other goo to quiet a timing chain. You'd literally have to fill the engine to the top of the cam sprocket. This would make it impossible for the pistons to move, immobilizing the crankshaft. An engine with no moving parts is going to be quiet.

From an agency such as the USDA it may be low miles but how much "idle time" does it have (which doesn't get counted by the odo)

-
Back