3.9L V6 Swap?

-

IfItsGotWheels

XS Tech-Anything worth doing, is worth doing in XS
Reaction score
Just to be different I've been tinkering with the idea of dropping a V6 out of a Dakota into my 67 Cuda. It's got a 273 in it right now. Headers shouldn't be a problem. Remove one pipe & replace the collector. If this can be made to work the car should handle real well. (less weight forward of the crossmember)
Ideas??

ive always wanted to do this to a 70s colt,or 63-66 valiant to be different.It should make a fun car to drive too,and be good on gas to boot.

I have the Colt, but was leaning more towards a Magnum small block swap.....

There is someone that has done this, in a wagon if I recall

Hi I done that engine swap last year. I got a 1993 Dakota 3.9 with the a500 overdrive and a 8 1/4 with 3.55 sure grip the hardest part was to make up engine mounts and I used the whole eng. harness and tied it in to the 1966 Dart harness it is a great ride and a real sleeper.

magnum installed 66 wagon.jpg

repainted magnum 3.9.jpg

8 quarter diff 66 wagon.jpg

Nice! I had a '92 Dakota 3.9 and loved it. Good power, great mpg. I like the look of the fit in your Valiant (would be the same in '64 Dart), and yeah, it's different. Plus, I'm past wanting to pull wholeshots, more into a reliable, fun driver I can take up & down the Cali coastline or to Vegas (post covid!) Is your 8 1/4" stock or ??

Yeah compared to the slanty, that 3.9 is a big-bore short stroke, 238cid powerhouse, with real nice heads; and the A500 bolts right onto it; 4.88s here I come. It's a natural, especially in a lightweight-A..

Always wondered if the 3.9 could be pushed very hard because, the engineers limited the revs, for a reason. I assumed there was an balance issue with the 90* V6 and they err on the side of smooth. Had a yell yellie jelly bean Dakota and did like how it drove but I didn’t equate it to a Hemi.

-
Back