3 or 4-speed mystery transmission

-

TylerW

Reaction score
Hey guys:

I know this is out-of-category, but I don't have another place to ask and I bet someone here knows the answer. While walking a yard looking for A-body parts, I peeked in the engine bay of a mid-70's W-series Dodge and saw something unusual. A slant six engine mated to a manual transmission. No, I'm kidding. What was unusual was that the starter was located farther down the left side of the engine, about where it would be on a V8, and there was what looked like a factory block-off plate bolted over the normal slant starter opening. It was a normal gear-reduction starter, not a direct-drive.

So, what's the 411 on this? Thanks.

Yes Chrysler did that to allot of the trucks.Manual or automatic,using the heavy duty manual trans and the 727 behind a slant.

There was an adapter, a big thing that went between the 6 engine and V8 transmission, I was told because for some time there was no 727 that fit a 6. Search slant 6 to 727 adapter

I have said setup from a '76 4x4, it allowed the use of the larger flywheel & clutch units, /6 727's were around for a while by then...have one of those as well.........
but they were used in the '60's for such...

Yeah ^^ a neighbor had a 68 Dodge 100 Slant with the block plate/converter flex plate adapter with a 727 behind the slant.But as you stated in the 70's they started making slant 727's(found one in a van)Manual heavy duty transmission trucks were still using the block plate.
Clifford's web site when looking at headers state high or low starter location.

-
Back