3 questions about 6s

-
Guys, I have never had any Issue with any Fram product.
Am I lucky and good looking? Well NO. Fram makes a good product. Just make sure you buy the correct product for your needs.

I do like cutting the oil filter apart after the oil change to check for problems.
Does any one else here do this?

Michael

I always cut my break in filters open. I've since gone to oil analysis from Polaris labs for the GN and S10 as those are pushed hard and I want to see exactly what wear metals we are seeing.

I don't see a stock/oe engine blowing an oil filter. Sorry.

I saw a comment a few posts back about 10w-40 being detrimental to a slant. Does anyone care to elaborate on that? I was running 10-40 trop-artic in mine.

slant six has a weak oil pump gear. in stock form they work fine and never have an issue. if you buy a new melling pump your chance is VERY high you will lose the gear and motor because they dont hardened the gear enough.

i run 20-50 on a original pump at 6 grand for over 300 passes and alot of street miles, no issues. i use the hemi spring for 75 PSI cold and about 65PSI hot at all times with 20-50 VR1.

as stated above Comp Cams nitrides their cams which makes the rockwell much harder than a stock cam (have to talk to doug or frank on this next one to be sure) and harder than even the hardened gears that come with franks or dougs blueprinted racing pumps. now before anybody says MadMax runs 11.50's NA and 10.50's on the bottle with a comp cam he is running an external oil pump.

my next race motor will be an external oil belt driven oil pump for just the security of the issue.

Now if superdave will be so kind as to post his rant on the appropriate thread (his own under general discussion) and lets talk turbo's.

first off your gonna want a 2.76-3.23 gear for a slant turbo car. second you know your gonna have to change valve springs to compensate for the pressure of boost trying to open the valve.

i run 20-50 on a original pump at 6 grand for over 300 passes and alot of street miles, no issues. i use the hemi spring for 75 PSI cold and about 65PSI hot at all times with 20-50 VR1.

What are you running for main and rod clearance? We run .002 mains and rods with thinner oils on our Slants.

What are you running for main and rod clearance? We run .002 mains and rods with thinner oils on our Slants.

i remember it being a little on the tight side so .002 sounds bout right. (mains and rods)

also radiused the feed hole on the rear cam journal on both sides of each hole

i remember it being a little on the tight side so .002 sounds bout right. (mains and rods)

also radiused the feed hole on the rear cam journal on both sides of each hole

That's what we were shooting for. .002-.0025 I usually only get worried that tight on big diameter journals that we are spinning fast like Pontiacs. But I don't fool with too many GM cars anymore. ;)

I hate it when guys come into forums and bash any quality brand unchecked and unabated using nothing but, "I heard this and that" on the internet.

I would imagine most, if not all the negative comments about Fram oil filters started from this page on the internet from 1999:
Oil Filters Revealed. The original author came down pretty hard on the basic Fram filter.

It's long gone, but you can still get at it from the Internet Archive copy

and the companion opinion page.

The state of things has probably changed in the last 14 years.

I really can't comment on the reason for oil pump gear failures, on the slant. I know many people have had a problem. I have been running slants since 1974, mostly 170's, and have never had a failure. I have turned my engines as high as 7200 rpm. I use a stock type replacement pump (which is high volumn compared to an OEM pump), 10-30 oil. I do some minor oiling system mods, and run full groove mains. The first year I ran a slant six, I did have some rod bearing problems, but not since then.

Would having the oil pump gear hardened harm anything? Any good machine shop or Gun smith should be able to do that for you.

Would having the oil pump gear hardened harm anything? Any good machine shop or Gun smith should be able to do that for you.

somewhere on slantsix.org Doug Dutra went into depth about what rockwell they need to be

-
Back