3 speed column shift conversion to 4 speed on the floor

-
I have a 65 barracuda with 273 and a 3 speed on the column. I am not sure where to find out exactly what transmission code I actually have. Thanks

Check to see what transmission you have first. Since you have the clutch setup that should leave the tunnel, and shifter. Crawl under that puppy and take some pictures. We can tell by looking. Does it have the bosses on the transmission for the shifter? I have done it but went from a slant six to a 273 and 4 speed, so the I had more changes to do.

If you have an A903 transmission, leave it column shift, as there's no provision on the transmission to bolt a shifter on it.

The floor shifter conversions come with their own mounting brackets that attach to the transmission, usually via the tailshaft housing bolts.
Ran one years ago on a '66 Valiant, but I can't remember now if it was a Hurst Indy kit or a Mr. Gasket kit that I used. Had to do some sheet metal work to the tunnel to clear the linkage- kind of like a mini 4 speed hump, but not as extensive.
Generic kit picture:
s%2fMTAyNFg3Njg%3d%2fz%2fcNsAAOxyYANTcApg%2f%24_35.jpg

It still wasn't like running a four-speed, though; since I still had to deal with the non-synchro first gear. Looking back, it probably wasn't worth it, but at the time I was a kid that "needed" a floor shift.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Here are some pics from under the car. I think I am leaning into replacing 3 speed with 4 speed on the floor. I know I will need the 4speed hump. That is harder than it seems to find one of those for a 65 Barracuda. Everyone seems to be sold out. And of course a new transmission Any other comments or knowledge, or links to parts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again

273A9374-FEBA-4100-B70A-75BB1A9652A2.jpeg

77105DD7-1B6A-4616-A589-903678CA3FE1.jpeg

AC28F737-E257-4212-A2EB-0106445C20AA.jpeg

That seems like a good plan. I have some extra parts, start a conversation if interested.
I did that to mine... You'll have to do some cutting on the floor.
I changed my steering column as well, to be rid of the old shifter.
I couldn't have done it w/o the help I got from 66fs. That's His shifter and Linkage in this pic!
Overall, Soo Much Happier with This in there!

hump.jpg

The Floor Hump's that You'll find will be Cut-Out of a Junk car usually (like this one in the pic)
You'll have to adapt it in, either with Rivets and Seam Seal or Weld it in...

hump2.jpg

Thanks guys. Here are some pics from under the car. I think I am leaning into replacing 3 speed with 4 speed on the floor. I know I will need the 4speed hump. That is harder than it seems to find one of those for a 65 Barracuda. Everyone seems to be sold out. And of course a new transmission Any other comments or knowledge, or links to parts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again

View attachment 1716051354

View attachment 1716051355

View attachment 1716051356
It won't be just the transmission that you need- the bellhousing of that vintage is transmission-specific to the three or four speed, the trans to bellhousing pattern is different. I *think* the clutch linkage will work, though.
Since it's a '65, you also have to deal with the ball & trunnion output shaft/driveshaft. That means you either have to locate a pre-'66 four speed, or a '66-'67 four speed and a '66 driveshaft with the slip yoke.
A '68 or later trans could be used, but will need the '68 and later bellhousing and 10.5" clutch and flywheel, since there may be differences in the front bearing retainer (there are ways around this, but I'm just trying to keep this simple for now). You'll also need the modified clutch bellcrank assembly from Brewer's to fit the 10.5 bellhousing in your early A. With the later trans you will also need a different speedometer drive pinion and use a '66-'67 speedometer cable (which will hook up to your '65 speedo) and a new driveshaft. None of that would be needed for the earlier transmission.

Last edited:
-
Back