3 Teens Killed in Speeding Challenger

-
Did anyone read my post at all? I pretty much laid the whole thing out.

I read it. Which basically proves my point that your parents shouldn't have bought you that car. Worst case scenario is that you could've been killed. If your parents bought you a Hyundai Accent, would you have had the same urge to show off like that to your friends? Probably not...

When the kid is 16, the parents are legal guardians and are still accountable for the kids' actions. After that kid turns 18, it's a whole different discussion.

I turned 19 last october, and crashed it this January. I bought it two days before I turned 19. My dad actually was somewhat worried about me buying it and I proved him right. I definitely learned my lesson there, this kid didn't have the chance to.

One thing I notice, is that people today are not trained on proper driving techniques.

They are not forced to "panic stop" from 60, or swerve the car at 45, or break the tires.
They have no concept of using mirrors, so are oblivious to any traffic not in front of their hood.
The cars today, even the cheap ones completlely remove all sensation of road feel. They inspire a level of confidence in the driver that they no where near approach.

It wasn't often our old cars would be put to that speed, and as many here can attest, the front-end on ours gets a little light, and you can feel the suspension limiting when you run them out. You learned your limits slowly. These new ones make you think everything is OK, right to the point of control loss.

Sad story though.

Grant

It's a sad story for sure. Probably not the best choice for a younger driver. Although a base unit might not be too bad. My first car was a 70 Roadrunner 383 auto car but it would be a turtle compared to an STR8 challenger. Alot of these new cars are very fast and much easier to drive close to the limits. I can see where a false sense of driving ability could come from. Back in the day on the old bias ply tires you knew you were going fast and had better be paying attention.

-
Back