3" Xpipe to 2.5" tail pipes?

-

RCK850

Reaction score
I'm going to be running a 600+ hp stroker small block. Will I be alright with 3" x-pipe then after the mufflers run a 2.5" tail pipe? I'm only doing a offset springs but I still want to have the room to run the factory style tips and location. I may even run a dynomax bullet muffler as a resonator. I just don't want to cork the thing up.

I am in the same situation and am currently mocking up and building the exhaust system for my fish. I have the engine on a stand with the headers bolted on so I cen fab and weld the X steup before taking it to a muffler shop to get the rest done. The SB has TTI headers which I bought a nice stout flange/3" extension for and a X-pipe kit, also 3". Will go 3" back to 3" muffs and dump toward the ground right at the diff so the heat points out toward where the rear tires contact the ground. The first problem encountered is the X-pipe wants the headers to come out parallel and the TTIs angle inward in somewhat bt about 10 degrees each.

The joy of hot rodding...

I thought I heard anything after the rear end doesnt have a effect on choking the motor only the sound. my plan was to 3in X pipe to 3in mufflers then 2.5 pipes, I dont see how it would hurt.

Try breathing through a straw, then add some bends to it. Smaller diameter and tube turns are a restriction.

this is a great question....i'm interested to hear what more ppl have to say about it! i have a similar setup on my dakota 3" to muffler and after 2.5"

I read some place that reducing the size of tail pipes didn't have a big effect on the performance. Think it had something to do with the exhaust gas temperatures cooling off father back in the exhaust system.

At our local track there was a guy running 10.00et at 135mph in a 1965 Chevy 2 street car. It was a small block with a small B&M blower and a nitrous kit. He was running 2.5" pipes to 2.25 mufflers & tail pipes out behind the 9" tires.

The smaller tail pipes didn't seem to hurt his performance.

Edit: Here is a write up on the car. The owner was unfortunately killed a few years back in a offroad accident. This car was something else to watch in the quarter mile and he drove it everywhere. http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/hrdp_0405_1964_chevy_nova/

I have a friend who races a '70 Lemans "3600lbs", complete interior with an 8pt cage. He was running 10.80's at 127 with 3inch exhaust to the bumper along with X-pipe. From the headers back he switched it all to 3.5 inch exhaust and the car then ran 10.60's at 131. Same brand muffler "Dynomax ultra-flos" and X-pipe"Dr.Gas" just a bigger size. Its a 455 around 650hp.

probably not much help, but I'm inclinded to think a full 3inch would better suit your needs.

Seems like I read the same thing several times. That the farther back in the exhaust system you go, the smaller the pipe can be because of shrinking exhaust gases. This is why you want the muffler all the way at the rear of the car, so the muffler does not have to be responsible for handling as much cfm. But, running 1000 cfm of exhaust gas does not seem that it would have much chance to cool off.

Some say that the smaller pipe helps keep the gasses flowing.

Know a guy running in the 11's with 2 1/2 pipe then 2 1/4 tail pipes.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it.

-
Back