300-350hp 318

-

chlngr1970

Reaction score
Anyone got a good recipe for a 3-350HP 318? I understand about having good free breathing heads, but what is a good streetable combination? I have a 318 in my garage I could build, and save my 340 for my future Demon :D

j

I would use the 318 heads and preferrably the 302's, and use a set of 1.759 CD pistons and square deck the block to clean. Use a 1.60/1.62 Exh. valve and cut the bowls open on both sides. Then do a good VJ and the heads will need to be gasket matched also. This should get the compression ratio up to 9.5:1 or a bit more. Then I would use a extreme energy cam in the rpm range that your going to be driving the most, or something of the like. I would use a good dual plane manifold like the M-1 or the rpm series which ever you like. Then top it off with a 650 carb and a 1 5/8 hedders. This should make 300-350 HP at the flywheel.

Would I need to do anything to the bottom end to prep for that kind of power from a 318? What kind of cam specs are we talking about? Would a MP 272 cam be about right for what I am trying to achieve? I'm looking for a good all around street motor. Power, reliability, and most of all, "just a 318" :D

j

Please reread my post above as I stated what needed to be done to the bottom end. The rods and crank will be fine, but the block will need some attention. And while your there use the CD pistons that I mentioned. And then the other mods of your choice.

i had a 300 horse 318,very similar to what bjr described,although what he described sounds like a better combo...i had.030 over,kb pistons(9.5),balanced,gasket matched,milodon double roller timing chain,headman headers,mp electronic ign.,had a few intakes on it but the eddy rpm seemed to work the best,600 cfm holley,and a schnieder 284h cam(284/480).it ran strong,but had low vac and very distinct lope

Here is the combo that I just put together. 318 .040 over flat top pistons .060 in the hole, .028 head gasket, Comp XE256 cam, Rebuilt magnum heads with 1.6 rockers and chebby behive springs, Magnum dual plane air gap intake, Gear drive, Holley 600, Hooker comp headers. According to comp cams desktop dyno it should make 325-340. Happy so far.

Here is the combo that I just put together. 318 .040 over flat top pistons .060 in the hole, Comp XE256 cam, Rebuilt magnum heads with 1.6 rockers and chebby behive springs, Magnum dual plane air gap intake, Gear drive, Holley 600, Hooker comp headers. According to comp cams desktop dyno it should make 325-340. Happy so far.

do you have this engine installed now? if so how does it run and sound with this cam combo?

350hp isnt hard to do. You need it to breath, and raise the static compression a little. If you have to run power brakes the cam choice cna be milder. But I'd just have a good performance rebuild done on it, I'd go with the 1.88/1.60 valve combo in the 318 heads, run a hypereutectic (KB137) piston with a 9.588 deck. That leaves the piston .010 in the hole and with a 62cc 318 chamber (will need to mill to get this, but not much) comes right around 9.5:1. The Lunati "268" (pn 60403) or the Comp Cams xe274H would work very well, go down one size in each family if you have power brakes. A Std Performer intake and 650 carb du jour, or a stock Tquad intake and carb, a sset of cheapie headers, and you'll be there.

thanks for posting. i wish i could hear it! my sound card is not working at the moment so all i can do is watch for now. does it have any noticable lope at all?

thanks for posting. i wish i could hear it! my sound card is not working at the moment so all i can do is watch for now. does it have any noticable lope at all?

Not really once I got everything dialed in. Just a little lope once I dropped the idle down to around 750.

What brand exhaust system? jegs?

The guy I bought the car installed them crooked. He bought it from summit with flowmaster 40's, not sure which ones. They are a little too loud. I plan on dumping them or running them in front of the rear tires.

Sorry to hijack the thread - but a quick question -

Badart - Im interested in your wheels - they look like the old MT eliminators on my car - what brand are yours?

P1010003.jpg

Sorry to hijack the thread - but a quick question -

Badart - Im interested in your wheels - they look like the old MT eliminators on my car - what brand are yours?

P1010003.jpg

The do look really similar. They are American Racing Trakstar 15x12 wheels on the rear. I could not find the fronts cheap enough so I went with Summit pulsar 15x4 wheels on the front. They will do until I find a couple cheap enough.

-
Back