300+ passes

-

o1heavy

1974 dart sport
Reaction score
Pulled the 408 to take a look
Roughly 300 passes on this thang
Most of the time it is only running 7.0 1/8
Mile but still the stock block and mains are happy .. so bearings and a reseal it is

e85 fuel just a fyi

1567F5E6-6C91-413C-A837-FDCE475C4FCF.jpeg

B49FF8F8-FF55-447C-8E1B-C38EAB36F42C.jpeg

5506A2D3-B227-466B-A556-98B1C2985BBA.jpeg

Good to know yours was in great condition. These are just such "happy" motors - always wanting to run like a young dog!!

Believe it not this thing drops oil pressure right after the front ends settles down
Roughly 25psi for a few feet them comes back up

Think I’m gonna try another pan
Only think of is the oil is in the back of the pan .. using a Kevco 302 kick out pan now

Believe it not this thing drops oil pressure right after the front ends settles down
Roughly 25psi for a few feet them comes back up

Think I’m gonna try another pan
Only think of is the oil is in the back of the pan .. using a Kevco 302 kick out pan now

Check to see how far your pickup is from the bottom of the pan. Your pickup may need lowered some.

Check to see how far your pickup is from the bottom of the pan. Your pickup may need lowered some.

the pick up is almost a inch from the bottom of the pan which seems a little Excessive
To me …
It’s a Kevco 302kick out pan with there fixed pickup tube..

Ya I would try to close that gap up some. My Canton pan was terrible to and when I told my buddy to check his he had to fix his also. My RacePak caught my pressure dropping luckily.

I’m gonna close to it 3/8 of a inch

joe I would also have the pick up tube checked for straightness. one of the guys on my Facebook Dakota sites bought a kevo oil pan with the pick up tube that's welded to the plate that bolts to oil pump. he was having oil pressure problems and come to find out the plate was warped pretty good. had to get the plate machined. I guess the plate got warped, when they welded the pick up tube to it. not saying yours is warped, but wouldn't hurt to have it checked while you have it apart. I bought a kevo pan and pick up for the 360 in my Dakota. but have to pull the transmission and almost pull the engine to put the damn pan on.

The stock oil pump pickup on a 340 dam near touches the pan.
This is a huge gap Kinda disappointment in myself for not checking it ,,,
And for Kevco for the shady work , but at least the engine isn’t hurt and I believe I found the issue

And for Kevco for the shady work , but at least the engine isn’t hurt and I believe I found the issue
Joe how are you going to lower the pick up? I glad I saw your post. I will have to remember to check the clearance on mine. I too was not impressed with my brand new kevko pan. Mine the right front corner of the pan rail was bent up. I had to take a hammer and a block of wood to make it flat again
The pan was packaged good and the box had no marks on it. So the pan had to if been bent before it was put in the box. Well can't ***** to much. Beside stock or $$ high dollar custom made. I think they are the only ones making a pan for a first gen dakota

The stock oil pump pickup on a 340 dam near touches the pan.
Joe how are you going to lower the pick up? I glad I saw your post. I will have to remember to check the clearance on mine. I too was not impressed with my brand new kevko pan. Mine the right front corner of the pan rail was bent up. I had to take a hammer and a block of wood to make it flat again
The pan was packaged good and the box had no marks on it. So the pan had to if been bent before it was put in the box. Well can't ***** to much. Beside stock or $$ high dollar custom made. I think they are the only ones making a pan for a first gen dakota
Gonna splice a 9/16 piece of a hemi pick up tube which just happens to barely slide over the Kevco tube

Guess it’s going back together with half groove main bearings , hate to change anything everything was so happy..
But it’s going back together ..

Guess it’s going back together with half groove main bearings , hate to change anything everything was so happy..
But it’s going back together ..
Refresh my memory, what oil pump are you using?

-
Back