3000 stall, firm shifts gone

-

green67cuda

Reaction score
I had installed the TF-2 kit in my 727 before i got the 3000 stall TC and it shifted NICELY. firm, quick shifts....only problem was that it shifted into 2nd WAY too early.....

so while i had the engine out to paint it and install TTIs and the TC, I put in the split shift fix and used the 1000 rpm split fix spring.....

it seems to have solved the split shift problem, but the shifts are very soft....quick, but soft...before, with the stock converter, it jarred me back in the seat every time it shifted.....now it's about as firm as a stock shift....the quickness is there, just the firmness has gone....

is it a sloppy converter, and maybe i need to get in on up in the revs and see if is shifts firmer????

Sounds about right for a loose converter. I used to chirp the tires at every shift with a 2500 conv. then i switched to a psycho 9 inch and a hotter motor in my 340 car and the firm shifts at low rpm's got real soft. Stand on the gas though and it was a totally different story. Stand on it and see what happens, if they are still soft it may be something else, but i'm willing to bet it is the converter.

someone on another board says i need to take out the accumulator spring and use a nail, bolt, or tube to block the piston from moving....

Yep, a loose converter will do that. It doesn't actually soften the shift, the trans still shifts the same but you don't feel it as the converter has lessened the shock on the driveline.

right...that's what my theory was on it....it's what made sense to me....so it actually may be better, since the drivetrain will receive less shock

FYI, everyone.....

when you install a shift kit, and it firms up the shifts, and then you replace the stock converter with a higher stall converter, you need to tighten up on the throttle-tranny linkage.

found the answer to my own problem when i installed the new carb.....i also installed a lokar throttle cable and bracket, to compliment my lokar kickdown cable. the bracket mounted the carb end farther back, and I didn't have enough k/d cable, so i made a bracket at the tranny to give me some extra cable, and still couldn't get the same adjustment i had on the cable to start. so i adjusted it out as far as i could, which was where the throttle valve in the tranny was at full travel right when the carb was at WOT. that put the idle position just BARELY before the lever made contact with the TV......

anyway.......the tighter adjustment brought back the firm, snappy shifts i had before the stall converter was in the car.

-
Back