302 heads on a 65 273

-

TerraBella

Reaction score
I have a cracked head on my 1965 273 comando
i have a replacement head on the way.
BUT I also have a set of 302 heads that i just purchased form Ebay
My Question
What intake are will work best, what carb/cam works with it all. any suggestions please chime in.
not looking for a race car but dont mind a little pep!!
Thanks

You didn't say if your 273 is a standard 2 bbl, or a Commando 4 bbl. In any event, 302 heads are a great swap, a little clearance grinding needs to be done on the drivers side head, around the air injection holes, which must be plugged( tap the holes 1/4-20 and run set screws in, make sure they are below surface) for the exhaust manifold to lay flat.

With the 302's on, almost any manifold of your dreams is possible. If you like the stealth look, a Holley Street Dominator painted Chrysler Red works real well, Edelbrock Performer is also a good one, lots of inexpressive used ones out there.

Lots of small hydraulic cams out there, years ago I put a Crane Power Max 260 into a 273 that I had put a set of 302's on, worked out very well.

Good luck!

[Yes its a Comando with 4bbl

QUOTE=JBurch;1970811228]You didn't say if your 273 is a standard 2 bbl, or a Commando 4 bbl. In any event, 302 heads are a great swap, a little clearance grinding needs to be done on the drivers side head, around the air injection holes, which must be plugged( tap the holes 1/4-20 and run set screws in, make sure they are below surface) for the exhaust manifold to lay flat.

With the 302's on, almost any manifold of your dreams is possible. If you like the stealth look, a Holley Street Dominator painted Chrysler Red works real well, Edelbrock Performer is also a good one, lots of inexpressive used ones out there.

Lots of small hydraulic cams out there, years ago I put a Crane Power Max 260 into a 273 that I had put a set of 302's on, worked out very well.

Good luck![/QUOTE]

The 273 that I worked over was also a Commando, with the Holley Street Dominator, I had the heads cut .030, compression ratio measured and calculated to 10.48, I used the thin MP head gaskets for a 318; was a nice drive it any where, anytime combination.

The car was a 65 Dart GT, 4 spd car

-
Back