302 heads...were to buy..what works with..?

-

Youngthrill

69 GT
Reaction score
I have a 318 block with forged 273 crank that im itching to take to the machine shop...

i hear 302 sworl port heads are the way to go...i cant find a set...were can i buy some? and what are the full casting #'s?any online sources??

im going .30 over and want to have the block zero decked..

im thinking getting after market pistons to bump up my compression and use stock heads??any ideas with this and what pistons to buy...??

or find 302 heads and use stock pistons ??because i hear after market pistons with 302 heads wont work on the street due to to much compression...??

i want to build a radical street machine and still use pump gas,,thanks fabo:banghead:

i want to build a radical street machine and still use pump gas,,thanks fabo:banghead:

If by "radical street machine" you mean fast, then don't use 302's. 302's are good for getting good mileage, but not for power...just my 2 cents on the matter.

What are your performance goals?

My advice it to set a goal first, then build the car/engine combo to suit your needs.

looking to get 350 plus horse power...i dont mind useing stock heads if they will get me hear..just wondering what pistons to use so i have decent compression ...i gues then it will detremen what cam to use...

any 350 plus horse power 318 combos with stock heads out there

There are 350 hp 318 combo's out there with stock heads, but not stock LA 318 heads. Your best bet for 350hp with "stock" heads would be to use the later 5.2/5.9 magnum heads. There are several magazine builds using magnum heads that managed to get 400 hp out of them without modification.

The 302's have small 318 style ports, so while they're good for velocity they don't flow flow as much. Plus, if you don't have a set of 302's already, you can buy a set of new or rebuilt magnum heads for less than it will cost you to buy and rebuild a set of 302's.

Only things to keep in mind with the magnum heads are that you'll have to use a magnum style intake, run the magnum pedestal rockers (which are 1.6 ratio rockers), and make sure you have oil through pushrods and lifters. But, if you make those changes, you'll end up with 1.92/1.62 valves, much better flow, and closed chamber heads that are usually around 60cc's for chamber volume. That will get you pretty decent compression numbers using flat top pistons, even without zero decking the block.

Here's one of the 400 hp 318 articles, this one uses magnum heads...

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/mopp_0409_318_engine_build/index.html

Here's another, this one using 302's. You'll see that to get to 400 hp they had to do some porting on the 302's, plus larger valves etc. After you do all that, the magnum heads would be far cheaper.

http://www.hotrod.com/howto/113_0304_318_small_block_build/

Check this guys build out: http://www.buschis-place.de/mopar_318cui_performance.htm

He used 302's with 360 valves and a full port job for a dyno'd 330HP 318. stock 360 heads netted only 290, but still not bad for a teen. 302 is a great head for a 273 2bbl. I just picked up a pair for 40 bucks and 3 hours cooking in a stinky old ice cream van to pull em. 85-90 318's look for the 302 at the end of the casting under the valve cover next to the 2nd rocker shaft pedestal.

Your stock heads will easilly support your goal. A 350hp 318 basically has pistons to get the static up to 9.5:1, a performance valve job, a decent intake, and a modern cam, a 650cfm carb, and cheap headers. I would upgrrade the valves to 360 size (cheap to do) and have the intake ports gasket mached to the 340/360 port size to make the intake selection a lot better. IMO, if you want to spend on heads, the EQ manumgs are a great head for a 318 and reasonable price. They would be cheaper to buy for me than paying to completely prep a set of 318 or "302" casting heads.

That hotrod article is F.O.S to the max.
The flow numbers listed as cast are BS!
The gain listed after the way big valves are worthless!

I get 210/177cfm with a stock valves, HOTROD MAGAZINE IS A JOKE! AND SO IS WHO WHOEVER DID THE HEADS!

They posted false numbers just so the crummy work they did would seem not so crummy.
PATHETIC!

I wouldn't recommend going any bigger than a 1.88 intake valve on any 318 head, the port wont support the flow that valve will.
Another thing is, the port window does not need to be opened up till ur flowing in the 220 cfm range, it supports 215 cfm as cast!

IF ANYTHING... THESE/THAT ARTICLE IS SHOWING WHAT NOT TO DO.

JMO based on real experience

Find you some X heads with the 2.02 intake valves. Spend some money on street porting them. Run you some Keith Black flat top pistons with the valve notches.

-
Back