302's on the 360 ?

-

RPM

Superior Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about playing with my cylinder heads and swapping out the massively worked over J's with the 2.02 valve treatment (and much more) for a set of 302's. Now I am not a cylinder head guy so I may be totally wrong in my thinking...and that is probably the case... but I want to see if by doing the swap If I can bring up a little more torque early on..... yes ? no ? I feel that for some reason I have all my oomph a little later then I want...Now without getting all technical with specs and stuff... is there a simple yes or no answer ? Yes it will help or no it wont....

Let me know.

-RPM

Stock 302's? Your going down on power real quick and RPM ceiling as well.

and your gonna have LOTS of bottom end torque,BUT,its gonna run out of breath early in the rpm range.Now if you gasket match to the intake,wich your gonna need to do any way,put 1.88 intake.1.60 exhaust valves,have the prots opened up to the gasket diameter,have the bowls opened up to valve size,then youll have some nice street heads.Your compression will be right much higher though.It still may run out of breath @5000-5500,but should be mighty strong up to that point.

Keep the J heads on there Scott. With the amount of work and cam you have in your 360, you won't see any benefit with the 302's. The 302's are a 318 head with 1.78 intake valves.

I have 302s on my 360, 1.88, 1.60 valves and some port work. Comp XE268H cam 10:1 comp. I havent driven it yet but Moper has.

ya not completely stock 302's but more like what Adam has.....I have the same cam as well Adam...

Thanks for the comments... I just feel my car is kinda a dog off the line... but she picks up quick and goes forever fast .

-Scott

Should be real strong on Tq. on the bottom end. But a better head would be the 1.88/1.60 360 heads with bowl work done. As the port volume will be in between what you have and what you want to go to.
We also have a set of 302 heads on a 360 and they do have some work done to them and they go 6,200 rpms but we run a much larger cam .580 274 @ .050 104 cl. 7.27 best in a 3330 lbs car with the wheels up, 1.55 60 ft.

I think 7.24 would be 1/8 mile, LOL

Moper said my motor poops out at around 5500rpms, Plenty for a street cruiser.
Thats with a old torker intake and 750 afb.

is this for a 1/4 mile track bjr?

No this is 1/8 mile, but still equates to low 11's in the 1/4 and for 3330 lbs is moving fairly strong with 302 heads and a stock bottom end other than the cam. And theres more left in it. Charlie and myself were talking just last night on how we could get his car into the 6.90's, and I figured out a way to get another 60-70 HP and this should get him there.

This would be 10.90's 1/4

hey i was pretty sure this was the 1/8 mile time but, lol, you do know some stuff, and could have built an engine with jet parts!!!!

ok so possibly going back to the 360 heads just worked up a bit instead of the massive valve job I have currently would be a better route then the 302s.

-RPM

hey i was pretty sure this was the 1/8 mile time but, lol, you do know some stuff, and could have built an engine with jet parts!!!!

I do have some parts that some would call jet parts. They do have the same kind of sound. lol

ok so possibly going back to the 360 heads just worked up a bit instead of the massive valve job I have currently would be a better route then the 302s.

-RPM

Well kind of depends on what RPM range your wanting it to peak at. The 268 cam is only good to 5500 rpm's according to comp. And in this case the 302's with some work would be a better choice. The reg. 360 heads with 1.88/1.60 valves would easily go beyond this.
If your not going over 5500 rpm's then I would use the 302's with work, but if your going higher than this then the std. 360's with work would be what I would use.

BJR
What type of work would you do to the 302 heads to make them work with the 360? Would the stock valves be sufficient if it only gets wound up to 5500 rpm?
I am also considering this head on the 360. I would like to hear what you have to say!
Thanks

8)

Do a 360 gasket match and stay with the 1.78 intake valves and back cut them, bowl blend the heads and radius the short turns, remove as much of the pushrod pinch as you can without cutting through. Use the 340 1.60 exh. valve from 67-69 as this valve flows more than the newer stuff and do a 75* cut and radius the short turn on the exh side. This should have you flowing in the 215/220 range on the intake and 180/195 on the exh side. This will give you max velocity on the intake side and max flow for Tq on the exh side. This is what we run on our 360 with 302 heads and just last night it ran 6, 7.27's in a row.

BJR
Thanks very much for the info!! :read2: Its great to hear about different combinations that work!

Thanks again!

I think im gonna put mine on a 360 now,just to see what they will do in current form,since there working so good on the 318 right

But keep in mind that it's not just the heads that make it work, it's the whole combination of parts that makes it work like it should. These heads only flow 218 @ .450 but still more than enough to make over 500 HP. Also it's how we machine the rest of the componets that helps this out too. Watch the fine details and have it machined to the T's and it will work for you as it does for us.
You can trick the flow to produce up to 30% more than the heads actually flow and in this case we have them working like a set of heads that flow almost 230 cfm's.

-
Back