318 2bbl intake on a 360

-

macdrew77

Reaction score
So I need to replace the worn out 273 in my ‘65 Dart Wagon and I have a perfectly good recently rebuilt roller LA 360 (with 302 heads).
I want this car to remain stockish appearing and keep its 2bbl WW Stromberg carb.
So, would you throw the 360 in the car with the 318 intake, WW carb and 273 exhaust manifolds…
Or would you look for a 318 and swap that in instead?
I don’t care about HP I just want a smooth running engine to cruise around in.

302s have the small 273/318 port size. Your '65 manifold will not fit any '66 and up heads, the intake bolts are a different size and angle into the heads.
Get a '66 and later 273/318 2bbl. manifold, bolt on your carb and call it good.

Just an FYI, you are aware of the changes you'll have to make to get that 360 roller motor in there, right? i.e. pass. car oil pan/pickup/dipstick (the 273 stuff won't fit the 360), having to modify the pass. side engine bracket and run a spacer on the driver's side between the bracket and engine mount lug, and switching over the timing chain cover and water pump from your 273 onto the 360 (pump inlet changed sides between those years), and re-marking your balancer for the timing marks (which also changed sides when the water pump changed). Or you could get a different radiator with the inlet sides changed instead of changing the TC cover and pump...
And then there's the transmission differences (I assume it's an automatic). The size of the nose on the torque convertor and it's corresponding pocket in the end of the crankshaft changed in '68ish- requiring you to run a reducer bushing in the crankshaft pocket of the later engines in order to fit correctly with the early convertor...
Later 318s would require most of the same mods, except for the motor mounts- those bolt up. You would also be able to use your 273 oil pan if needed.

Last edited:
.... but technically, yes, you can bolt the 318 2bbl intake/carb on a 360 (as long as it don't have magnum heads) and it will run for ya.

So I need to replace the worn out 273 in my ‘65 Dart Wagon and I have a perfectly good recently rebuilt roller LA 360 (with 302 heads).
I want this car to remain stockish appearing and keep its 2bbl WW Stromberg carb.
So, would you throw the 360 in the car with the 318 intake, WW carb and 273 exhaust manifolds…
Or would you look for a 318 and swap that in instead?
A 318 would be a lot easier, but, the 360 will fit if you do the conversions that Professor Fate mentions. No way it's just an intake, carb, and ex man. swap. You actually have a Stromberg on your 273? IIRC, those were used on some poly 318's (and others), and had a different bolt pattern than the stock 273 intake with a Carter BBD carb.

Great info professor fate. The 360 is currently in my 1970 dart so I have the passenger oil pan but not the proper dipstick yet. I didn’t know about the timing cover and water pump being different so that’s good to know. I remember modifying one of the engine mounts but don’t recall having to run a spacer on the other side. I do have the torque converter bushing already so I can bolt up to my early auto trans. And my 2bbl intake is from a ‘68 318 so as long as the BBD and stromberg have the same bolt pattern I’m set there.

If the 360 is a hi-compression unit, it will be well worth the time to make it fit your chassis.
But if it is stock, and you are being truthful about
then, IDK if I would do all that work, when 318s are readily available, cheep, and drop right in.

Or you could just ship your wagon to me, and I will put a monster 360 into it with a 4-speed and a GVod. But you ain't getting it back, lol.

If the 360 is a hi-compression unit, it will be well worth the time to make it fit your chassis.
But if it is stock, and you are being truthful about
then, IDK if I would do all that work, when 318s are readily available, cheep, and drop right in.

Or you could just ship your wagon to me, and I will put a monster 360 into it with a 4-speed and a GVod. But you ain't getting it back, lol.

Haha I’m currently collecting 4 speed parts for it, I have a 65 trans, pedals and more already.

Great info professor fate. The 360 is currently in my 1970 dart so I have the passenger oil pan but not the proper dipstick yet. I didn’t know about the timing cover and water pump being different so that’s good to know. I remember modifying one of the engine mounts but don’t recall having to run a spacer on the other side. I do have the torque converter bushing already so I can bolt up to my early auto trans. And my 2bbl intake is from a ‘68 318 so as long as the BBD and stromberg have the same bolt pattern I’m set there.
And I almost forgot- you'll also need a flexplate like the B&M 10239 in order to run the neutral-balanced '65 converter behind the externally-balanced 360.
And to run the 273 exhaust manifolds on 302 heads, there will be interference between the driver's side manifold downleg and the elongated exhaust pad beneath the #7 exhaust port. Some people claim to have just ground the offending head material away (and gotten away with it), but beware- there is a coolant passage just beneath the surface, and if you breach it, you're done. Better (and safer) solution is to space the manifold away from the head using a bare header flange between the manifold and the head. You may also get away with a double gasket, you'll have to see which will work for you.

Last edited:
-
Back