Status
Not open for further replies.

7e5hangten360

semi-pro
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Contact seller
full set of used main caps for LA small-blocks . will fit 273, 318 and 340 blocks. will not fit a LA 360. nice condition, not rusty pieces. since these are not original to your block, you will need to have them line-honed to your block. these are getting hard to find in this condition. $150us SHIPPED anywhere in the usa and in canada. maybe i could provide a main bolt set for an extra $40us , i have to confirm first if i still have some.

P1010012.JPG

P1010013.JPG

P1010014.JPG

I thought the 318s had a different cap from the 340 that
was shorter and less beefy and sometimes cracked in the
middle of the top with a lot of HP?

my main caps are not necessarily for the guy who builds his engine to 650+ hp, but to the guy who wants to use that 318 or 340 block they got, that the caps are missing.

Last edited:
The bolts for the 340 caps are much longer and will not work on these caps without spacers,

318 bolt on the top,

340 bolt on the bottom.

340 bolt has washers to show the difference. These caps are usable on a 340 just weaker and would be good for a driver but not a High Horse power engine.

You will need to use the 340 bolts with the spacers/washers to fit the windage tray. Or find the very rare 318 windage tray main cap bolts as pictured on the top.

Just some info for the buyer and seller.

106_0587 (2).JPG

The bolts for the 340 caps are much longer and will not work on these caps without spacers,

318 bolt on the top,

340 bolt on the bottom.

340 bolt has washers to show the difference. These caps are usable on a 340 just weaker and would be good for a driver but not a High Horse power engine.

You will need to use the 340 bolts with the spacers/washers to fit the windage tray. Or find the very rare 318 windage tray main cap bolts as pictured on the top.

I've never seen a 318 windage tray bolt. What did they come on?

Some years ago when my boy Jon and our friend Steve Wann were
contending for Div. 7 Championship, we broke the main cap on his
318 at Bakersfield 3rd round. Steve won the Division and we dropped
to 3rd or 4th for the year. This 318 produced 385HP @ 6200RPM but
had a couple years of racing on it.

I think if you bought the DC windage tray and told them you had a 318 they had a kit with the shorter bolts.

The last time I bought one for a 318 was 1980, so my memory could be flogged a bit.

Some years ago when my boy Jon and our friend Steve Wann were
contending for Div. 7 Championship, we broke the main cap on his
318 at Bakersfield 3rd round. Steve won the Division and we dropped
to 3rd or 4th for the year. This 318 produced 385HP @ 6200RPM but
had a couple years of racing on it.
over the years, i had 3 or 4 318`s and i never broke a main cap. but they were seldom used for racing, mostly street use in the 225 hp and 15 second range (when raced) . they were 318 stock short-blocks dressed with 340 intake and exhaust manifolds, 340 cams, and i tried stock j-heads, and 318 ported and milled heads. only trying to say that a 318 or a 340 built for the street, not racing , would last with these caps. you know as much as i do, that racing means broken parts, no matter the engine build.

Last edited:
They came out of 318 4 bbl's used in Police cars in the mid 80's. I would buy the diplomats for the engines and 4bbl throttle pressure linkage for 904's. So I would yank the driveline and scrap them. I used the linkage on 4bbl engine installs here is a Duster I built using the linkage.

They were never available from Mopar Performance or Direct Connection that I remember. These bolts were never offered. The kits only came with the long bolts and recommended the Hemi head bolt washers as see here on the 340 bolt. The windage trays were also different from mopar. They had slotted holes to fit both engines.

106_0588.JPG

106_0583.JPG

106_0585.JPG

Last edited:
guys, please remember this is a for-sale ad not a discussion forum. reply only if you are a serious buyer. i did lower the price since i considered the information provided. have your own ad for selling your bolts and showing pictures of your cars .

Last edited:
the bearings that were still on the caps, were marked 75 so, they are from a 1976 or earlier motor. also, from the rear rope seal that is still on number 5 main, these parts are from that era (1975) or earlier. i dont have the matching block to confirm.
after reading the info from others on this ad and comparing my caps that are for sale, to 340 caps i got on a 340 block, the mains i am selling would be from a 318, being slightly smaller in overall size. and , i think they would fit both a 318 or 340 without a problem.

318 bolt on the top,

340 bolt on the bottom.

View attachment 1716105425
the top bolt is what i remember as a 340 bolt, with the LONG SHOULDER for a windage tray. the bottom bolt must have been for a 360 which bolts are longer. i never saw one of these, my 360s never had a windage tray from the factory. the bottom bolt could have come from a 318-360 cop-car. i could be wrong.

Last edited:
the top bolt is what i remember as a 340 bolt, with the LONG SHOULDER for a windage tray. the bottom bolt must have been for a 360 which bolts are longer. i never saw one of these, my 360s never had a windage tray from the factory. the bottom bolt could have come from a 318-360 cop-car. i could be wrong.
The top bolt without the washers on are 318 they were taken from a 318 4bbl engine out of a mid 80's police car. The bottom bolt with the washers are 340 They are out of a 68-73 340 . The washers that are on them are from Hemi head bolts. This makes them work on a 318

Hope we got this ALL figured out now, please limit commentary please.
Thank you

These main caps for sale will fit a 318, 340 or a 273 You just need to use the washers or the correct bolts.
Yes they will fit. Would u use them on your 340s? If mopar seemed fit to supply bigger/stronger main caps on the 340 why would want put a weaker part on it. All the rage has been to either install aluminum or billet caps in the last 20 years

This thread is on it way out ! If anyone wants to know more lets take it to a group private message please.. or the OP can put this information down in a new for sale thread and start over.
This is not a how to thread, its a for sale thread, so Please!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back