318 340

-

'71cali-dart

Reaction score
Ive been throwing different swap ideas on here and got alot of good info. So now ive come across a 340 block that comes with: the block,pistons/rods and crank with windage tray.(eagle rods with je pistons and the stock forged steel 340 crank). If i take this route, what parts can be swapped from my 318 onto the 340? pulleys,intake ect. (im pretty sure the intake corresponds) id rather ask some dumb questions now, instead of just making a possible dumb investment haha
any info or suggestions will be appreciated

yeah nice find on the 340. if it was me i'd get the engine balanced/checked out good at a machine shop before dropping her in. might cost a couple hundred bucks but could save you much more in the long run, and you will enjoy it much more.

everything pretty much bolts over. however, you would want to use 340 or 360 heads and a decent intake.

alright perfect. i have and edlebrock performer intake and carb(650) on my 318 now that i was planning on transfering over. which type heads would you recommend?

Nothing stock. By the time you get them rebuilt and cleaned up you couldve bought an aftermarket better flowing set. You can get a done set from Indy which will be the RHS heads (cast iron), however, if you go to summit racing you can get yourself a set of Edelbrock aluminum heads for cheaper (60779, which are closed chamber 63 cc heads, I have they on my 340). But you'll need to know which pistons you have i.e. are they flat top, dome, or dish, as well as if they pop out of the block.

Stock 340 or 360 heads only, not 318 or 273 heads.
The 360 heads have a smaller intake @ 1.88 that will still work very well on most builds. Do not beileve the hyp on "NEEDING" a 2.02 int. valve.

-
Back